We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A few pics plus Narcissus question  (Read 5036 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
A few pics plus Narcissus question
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »
A few pics from today you might like:

a Crocus cvijicii from Janis demonstrating they do offset!
Iris winogradowii (I must admit in my possession less than a week - my father has 4 or 5 pots like this from one original bulb!)
a corner of the greenhouse showing some of the Leonticoides Corydalis starting up

The final two are of a plant I've been growing for a few years as Narcissus cantabricus petunioides, with a romieuxii going over next to it in the last one. The stock originates from David Sampson's former nursery in Sussex, and may have come from Tilebarn Nursery in Kent before that, but I'm not completely sure of that. I've always wondered whether it's really bright white enough to be the real thing - any thoughts? How valid or consistent is the designation 'petunioides" anyway? I understand it doesn't come true from seed, so is it a single clonal selection made years ago?

Cheers,

Alex

Gerry Webster

Re: A few pics plus Narcissus question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »
The final two are of a plant I've been growing for a few years as Narcissus cantabricus petunioides, with a romieuxii going over next to it in the last one. The stock originates from David Sampson's former nursery in Sussex, and may have come from Tilebarn Nursery in Kent before that, but I'm not completely sure of that. I've always wondered whether it's really bright white enough to be the real thing - any thoughts? How valid or consistent is the designation 'petunioides" anyway? I understand it doesn't come true from seed, so is it a single clonal selection made years ago?
Cheers,
Alex
Alex - this looks very like the photo of 'petunioides' in John Blanchard's book of which I posted a scan in an earlier Narcissus thread where this clone was discussed. I wonder if your plant came originally from Elizabeth Strangman (Washfield Nursery, Kent)? She had plants from the original clone - I know because I had one from her  years ago & killed it almost immediately.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
Hi Alex
I reckon you can call that 'petunioides' :) :) :)  And I'd be very happy to go on a list for a spare bulb!  (Hopefully i can provide a suitable swap.)
I have had seed labelled as N cantabricus var petunioides several times.  It has never produced a flower anything like as good as that.  However I have had a plant from seed that had a very flat 'face' although on a more compact plant.  This came from seed listed as N cantabricus clusii which produced a 'normal' cantabricus on every other seedling.  Perhaps it is just a form that occurs naturally but only rarely.  If that is the case then increase by offset will be the only way to keep it uniform and pure.  Lets try some seed from yours and see what happens.

Below are 'normal' Narcissus cantabricus cantabricus and the petunioid form of Narcissus cantabricus clusii.  Hopefully someone with the relevant literature/knowledge to hand will tell us if 'clusii' is a valid name.  (Gerry - are you there? :))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:06:39 PM by tonyg »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:23:19 PM »
Below are 'normal' Narcissus cantabricus cantabricus and the petunioid form of Narcissus cantabricus clusii.  Hopefully someone with the relevant literature/knowledge to hand will tell us if 'clusii' is a valid name.  (Gerry - are you there? :))

Tony - Yes I'm here, though I'm certainly no expert on Narcissus. Blanchard makes no mention of 'clusii'. Ron Beeston (AGS Bull. June 2000) refers to,  illustrates & commends "N. cantabricus subsp. clusii". According to the Kew Monocot Checklist N. clusii(1847) is a synonym for N. cantabricus subsp. cantabricus; I presume that 'clusii' is just a good, selected form of this. Whatever the correct name, all these plants are delightful.
Edit 3.2.09 I was mistaken; Blanchard does mention N.clusii & regards it as a synonym for N. cantabricus subsp. cantabricus.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:22:19 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 12:32:23 PM »
Thanks Gerry - that is what I thought but I did not have the references.  N cantabricus clusii as I have grown it is indistinguishable from N cantabricus cantabricus, apart from that petunioid seedling of course!

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »
It's a beautiful form, Alex.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
Thanks for thoughts, I'm glad you think it may be consistent with pet., although of course only way to be sure would be to prove descent from a known clone. To that end it may have come from Washfield, David Sampson used to work there around the time he got this clone I think.

I would be happy to give you a bulb at repotting time, Tony, just remind me in a few months and send me your address. It bulks up quite readily, whatever it is!

Alex

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
Lovely pot of Iris winowgradowii too Alex.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 04:43:38 AM »
I had the true petunioides very many years ago - probably 45 at least - but lost it eventually. I see in Archibald's latest seedlist he lists it and says only a portion will come true to form and only these few can legitimately be called 'Petunioides.' Immediately there is a problem in the making because in the first place, true plants from seed suggests a strain, not a clone and second, will everyone who raises this seed understand that only the wide, white, flat forms can bear the "clonal" name. I doubt it. An Australian friend who raised Archibald's seed several years ago had several NOT true to form but still has them as 'Petunioides.'
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
Justfor interest, Corydalis popovii starting, not yet at its peak, the Narcissus cantabricus petunioides I posted a few days ago for ID with more flowers, and the final one is a Crocus paschei single corm bought just last Autumn with 5 flowers, and that's just for starters. Real value for money (I realise it's a vigorous sp.!) - and the vendor? A (nominally) religious gentleman with a reputation for selling less size-advantaged material - who would have guessed?

Alex

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
Good move - I nearly suggested it.  Still drooling over the N c petunioides.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »
If you mean mine I have you down for a bulb in the Summer.

Alex

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:48:46 PM »
We'll make a swap hopefully

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »
Sounds good!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal