We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The best Galanthus nivalis selections  (Read 5654 times)

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
Re: The best Galanthus nivalis selections
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
From the forumists comments it appears that Galanthus nivalis does better in eastern North America, even spreading like mad, while G.elwesii is happier on the west coast.  Perhaps we in Nova Scotia should focus more on G. nivalis. 

johnw - where it snowed 5-7cm overnight, rained heavily, gale force winds and now facing a pile of slop that is due to freeze in a few hours.

John, far to the south of you, here in Montgomery County, Maryland, USA, Galanthus elwesii and G. nivalis both thrive. Galanthus elwesii seeds prolifically. Galanthus nivalis goes through the motions of forming seed, but the soft green capsules evidently don't contain viable seed.

Galanthus nivalis clumps thickly; the crowded bulbs soon get pushed to the surface, and in the summer when they are dormant get moved around by animals and perhaps water. I seem to have two forms of Galanthus nivalis, and in the several decades they have grown here  I've never noticed seedlings.

Each of these is presumably an old clonal nursery selection. One is shorter than the other with proportionately smaller flowers.

I have not noticed much if any difference in the vigor or longevity of the dozen or so other snowdrops I grow. The one very odd exception has been some bulbs of the old 'Ophelia' which took ten or fifteen years to settle down and bloom. Now they are dividing and blooming freely (although the flowers do not always open properly), and I have no idea why they took so long to settle down.
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 01:11:43 AM »
Jim  -   Very informative. You seem to have the best of both worlds there.

It would be interesting to know how far south both species will grow. Would you think you are close to the southern limit for Galanthus nivalis?  I saw Galanthus near Raleigh, NC but can't recall which one.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 10:14:05 AM »
Me-yet!

I nearly missed a trick.  David, why not have a Sunday visit out to North Devon. My garden is open this one and next one and I can dig you some of each up  ;D ;D

( Shouldn't miss a chance to promote the NGS  ::) ::))

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
I'm coming too!  ;D
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »
Does anyone not have Galanthus nivalis in the garden

me  :-[ ::)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:32 AM »
Me-yet!

I nearly missed a trick.  David, why not have a Sunday visit out to North Devon. My garden is open this one and next one and I can dig you some of each up  ;D ;D

( Shouldn't miss a chance to promote the NGS  ::) ::))

I would love to see your garden Jo but we have things arranged for next Sunday and the Sunday after that it's my birthday and both kids are coming home. This usually means we go somewhere disgustingly expensive for lunch and I finish up paying! Some other time perhaps?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
I'm coming too!  ;D

I think Mark and I will leave my place to look after itself and join your birthday party.... if you're paying ;D ;D ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »
Jo, I am a Yorkshireman!!!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
Does anyone not have Galanthus nivalis in the garden

me  :-[ ::)

Would you like some?  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal