We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: I'm looking for .... I'm offering ....  (Read 11421 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: I'm looking for .... I'm offering ....
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »
I hear what you say about another Swap thread... for the culinary treats...... this is a delicate matter..... so many foodstuffs are on banned lists nowadays, as with the plantworld and all the national regulations must be observed..... so, I propose  that all samples come here to me, for extensive testing, and I will forward anything suitable through the proper channels.... how does that sound? ::) ;D

Just as I expected. And just how will we know when these few paltry molecules are forwarded and have arrived?

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
Just as I expected. And just how will we know when these few paltry molecules are forwarded and have arrived?

I shall let you know if I hear a hearty BURP in Kent!
   ;D

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
so many foodstuffs are on banned lists nowadays, as with the plantworld and all the national regulations must be observed..... so, I propose  that all samples come here to me, for extensive testing, and I will forward anything suitable through the proper channels

Maggi, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to receive cake after it's been through your "proper channels" and come out the other end.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

loes

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »
well,first my offering.not that much but then again..you never know.

nivalis 'Warei'
nivalis 'Maximus' (if it is the real one)
nivalis 'White Cloud' ( normal nivalis but with little bulbs around the motherbulb,nice for the breeders?)
elwesii Handel
elwesii Haydn
elwesii Purcell

then what I would like:
a nivalis poculiform
nivalis Sandersi group
Blewbury Tart
Wendy`s Gold
or.....

Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »
Maggi, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to receive cake after it's been through your "proper channels" and come out the other end.

I am sure my neighbours must think I am mad as I have just guffawed out extremely loudly at reading that! 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
Does any one know where i could get hold of Galanthus nivalis 'Kersen' My mum and i both started collecting snowdrops at the same time and her name is cherry and as kersen is Dutch for cherries i thought it would be a great one for her collection. thank you for your help.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »
Emma in all my years of visiting gardens and private collections I have never seen 'Kersen'. I havent seen it on any lists either.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
I meant the proper governmental channels, you lot, not gastro-intestinal channels  :o I don't know... ::)
You'll either get an envelope with a few crumbs and a creased piece of tinfoil, or, more likely, an email, saying it wasn't allowed through customs and has been confiscated. Simple.  ;D

Quite a few of the drops mentioned so far I've never even heard of! Good luck with your hunting and swapping!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:03:58 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »

I am sure my neighbours must think I am mad as I have just guffawed out extremely loudly at reading that! 

Between John and Martin my cover at work was nearly blown. I too lost it completely for good few minutes. Puzzled looks from afar.  I fear Maggi's response so may have to sign off before I dare read it.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:44:00 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »

Between John and Martin my cover at work was nearly blown. I too lost it completely for good few minutes. Puzzled looks from afar.  I fear Maggi's response so may have to sign off before I dare read it.

johnw

Gentlemen, think yourselves lucky not to have been privy to the message exchange that went on between Martin and myself the other day.....Ian was quite overcome( for various reasons) and people passing in the street outside turned to see where the hysterical  laughter came from. You would now surely be seeking alternative employment ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

steve owen

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
Back from the SW and gratified to find that my suggestion is going somewhere with this thread. I guess you have to be patient even with good ideas.....
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »
I'm looking for:

• A pure white, non-poculiform snowdrop (I found one two years ago, fell in love with it then the next year it was completely normal).
  • G. elwesii E.A. Bowles (yes, I know that's an impossibility, I just like it very much.
  • A really really symmetric double (I 've heard tales of one found in Belgium. Edit: I'm told it's called Melanie S.).
  • Trumps or South Hayes or similar (I got Trym last year).
  • Margery Fish.
  • Any snowdrop that would reliably flower in September or April in my garden.
  • Quite probably others I have not thought of.

I'm offering:

• G. plicatus Wendy's Gold
  • G. elwesii Richard Ayres
  • G. Tubby Merlin
  • G. plicatus Percy Picton
  • G. "Cressida" (a pseudo Greatorex double I found locally; some people like this one, others don't).
  • And G. nivalis Green Light

But I have only a very few of each available and only one or two of Green Light (for which I strike a hard bargain)!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:43:41 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »
Hello Alan,

the symmetric double you're talking about was found by Valentin Wijnen and is called Melanie S. Here you can see the picture: http://www.galanthus.be/index.cfm?fuseaction=art&art_id=3590

He's not yet selling this snowdrop but if you have something he wants maybe you he'll swap.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
Hi Alan

Valentin Wijnen also posted about that snowdrop on here last year:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=163.msg3524#msg3524

regards

John
John

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
Hi Alan

Valentin Wijnen also posted about that snowdrop on here last year:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=163.msg3524#msg3524

regards

John

So much for my memory!  Anyway, I would like one if Valantin is reading this and wants a Green Light!
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal