We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Places to see in Santiago de Chile?  (Read 3854 times)

Janne

Places to see in Santiago de Chile?
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »
I was wondering if anyone might know any botanically interesting places to visit near santiago? Or is it enough just to get outside of the city into the mountains and exotic species rich areas are everywhere. Is there there a major differences between north- and southslopes on the mountains. Any help or comments are appreciated!

Thank you,
Janne

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Places to see in Santiago de Chile?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:16:07 AM »
Dear Janne,
Just go to the ski-resorts near Santiago (La Parva / El Colorado /
Farellones and Valle Nevado for instance). Here (and when driving to these places) you will surely find a lot of interesting andine species. Before you do that I would recommend to look for " Plantas Altoandinas " by Hoffmann, Kalin Arroyo, Liberona, Munoz and Watson. There is a difference between south- and northfacing slopes - the northfacing ones are much hotter and dryer. This can be noted especially when visiting the two parts of the Parque Nacional La Campana - also not far vom Santiago.
Best wishes
Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:37:21 PM »
I had a day to spare in Santiago a couple of years ago. I hired a taxi for the day (this was recommended in an article I read in NARGS' Riock Garden Quarterly) and went up to one of the ski resort areas closest to the city. Didn't cost more than £50-60 for about an 8 hour trip, no stress from driving in the city and the flowers were out of this world. And, yes, the Hoffmann book is essential....

Stephen, Malvik, Norway
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »
A warm welcome to the new SRGC forum to you all. I will keep all your advice in mind, lest I should find myself with a day or two spare on Santiago de Chile!! I wish!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal