We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Speeding Glaucidium palmatum up  (Read 11382 times)

Robert G

• Trees and everything that grows under them
Speeding Glaucidium palmatum up
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »
Under my lights I have a large ammount of newly germinarted Glaucidium. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried to force Glaucidium so it gets to flowering size sooner. I have been doing this with arisaema and that is well documented. Arisaema get three months cold then are alllowed to grow outside or in greenhouse and back to cold. Repeat and repeat. I suppose I am just impatient, but it would be great if someone out there had any ideas.
Metcalfe, Ontario in Canada USDA Zone 4

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Speeding Glaucidium palmatum up
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
You'd better ask Martin Baxendale. He's faster than a speeding.....snowdrop!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert G

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 05:54:23 AM »
Thank you for the tip Lesley, but is this the Martin B I have seen in galanthus areas? I am new at this is it okay to send a personal message to him through the forum or should I let him get in touch with me.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »
Hi, Robert, it is okay for you to PM any forumist... but I have  feelingthat Lesley was teasing you about Martin, because the "faster than" is a forum nickname given him..... I 'm not particularly aware of Martin being much involved in growing Glaucidium! Try a search for Glaucidium and  see what that throws out.... I'll do so myself... after lunch... I'm ravenous and no breakfast.... so see you later..... :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert G

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
Thank you Maggi. I suspected Lesely was having some fun me. She did give me a direction to check into. I will start looking at general forcing to get some info. Part of me had hoped someone had specific experience with the plant. Now I did a search a while ago, but you are right something could pop up now. Take care.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
Something I have noticed with glaucidium seedlings is that they seem to reach a certain size and then "stop" for a while, then all of a sudden they put on a spurt of growth and are almost magically bigger and almost ready to flower.
I would suspect that the fact you have them under lights and so can presumably keep them warm and growing for longer will mean that thet will come sooner to a bigger and hopefully, flowering, size.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:38:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Yes Robert, I was teasing a little. I apologise. All Forum members know that I'll have a little laugh at their expense but it is always with the greatest affection. And I don't mind receiving the same back to me. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert G

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 02:15:10 AM »
Ian,
      I think that is solid advice. Keep them growing I should be rewarded. I have noticed with Dodecatheon the ones I start early and pampered inside will flower the following year. Where a given a more natural treatment will take a few years. Thank you.

Lesley,
      I will be keeping my eye you for here on in.  :) :) I read about you iris problems. I thought getting plants from the USA was a hassle and costly, but eek.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:02 AM »
Hi Robert, I thought that I should put in my two pece worth here. We grow a lot of Glaucidium ( and other genus) from seed these are being sown at the momemt in deep pots these are not distubed the first year but next year once growth starts again we tip out the potfull of seedling without disturbing them and plant the whole lot in the ground. We have several raised beds with good compost which we use for this and  in year thre we can separate the young seedlings in spring planting back in the ground some will produce flowers if fed that year. I suppose you could sow the seed directly in the ground but we like to know where it is, we do have problems with voles eating juicy seeds. I attach picture of seed pots.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

maggiepie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »
Ian, what is the fabric covering the pots, and what is its purpose?
Helen Poirier , Australia

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »
Hi again, sorry forgot to say that the pots are covered with what we know as fleece a very fine woven material which allows sunlight and rain through it protects plants from frost . We cover the pots over and tie the fleece with string under the rim of the pot ( make sure you use quite a big bit of fleece) since we have used this method we do not get problems with the voles eating our seed they do not eat through the fleece also when the seedlings emerge and start to grow we pull up the fleece to allow more room for seedlings to grow this keeps out slugs and any other nasties which would eat our seedling. The fleece is removed after a month or so. cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

maggiepie

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Ian, I think I have some of the fleece, I bought at one time to wrap roses.
It wouldn't have occurred to me to try it over pots, but if it keeps slugs out it's a great idea ;D ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Robert G

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 03:39:37 PM »
Rob- I do not have a working camera right now, but if I can take a picture I will.

Ian- Thank you for the input. That sounds like a great way to go. I suspect you being blessed with a longer growing season get larger plants sooner. It makes sense so if I do that artificially it will help too. I saw you speak when you came through here in the autumn. Great talk and I have already picked up fleece(sold as row cover here). Voles aren't the problem, but the european black squirrel is.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
Dear Rob, just incase your seedlings are not Glaucidiums please p.m me with your postal address and I will send some seed, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »
If I remember from a few years ago, Glaucidiums come up as a single leaf, and shaped very much like the mature leaf, but much smaller of course.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal