We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Broadleigh Garden visit  (Read 2594 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Broadleigh Garden visit
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »
Today we had a trip to Broadleigh Garden which is part of the famous Bulb Nursery on the outskirts of Taunton in Somerset. We set off from home in a raging thunderstorm with hail stones the size of marbles and a terrible wind. As we got past Exeter on the M5 the weather improved a little and by the time we got to the Garden Centre we usually use as a lunch stop, just South of Taunton, there was a touch of blue in the sky but still a howling gale.

When we got to the garden black clouds were beginning to roll in from all directions and we were fighting the wind to walk along so we thought we ought to make the visit a quick one or be drenched. I decided to take a few pictures of some of the flowers but it was not easy to get them to stay still and "look at me" given the wind speed. I had intended then to take some general views of the garden BUT given the Nicholson propensity for "planning slip" the camera battery ran down. So, here for your delectation are a few photographs.

I had to take a Snowie even though most of them were way past their best-no doubt someone will name it?

A couple of nice Daffs.

Lots of self seeded Hellebores in the garden but very pretty for all of that.

Is that a Leucojum-if so it's the first "Leucosom"

and the last one someone will tell me what they are.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:14:28 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Broadleigh Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:45:08 PM »
Weather doesn't look that bad, David, in fact, it seems quite nice.
Your little blue numbers are squills, likely Scilla bifolia, nice thing.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal