We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2024  (Read 1183 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Paeonia 2024
« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:36:40 PM »
I have another strange thing. My P. emodi grows every year and shows small flower buds, but they do not develop over 1cm in diameter. Sometimes I had issues with frost and tried to cover the plant, but this year there was no frost only temperatures a bit above zero degree. Has anybody any idea why this could be?

Another problem I have is with P. veitchii. I got 3 times plants from a colleague and every time they disappeared/died after 1-2 years. Maybe I should try it with seeds, but where can I get some seeds of P. veitchii; can anybody of you send me some if you have some?

I had the same problem with P.emodi, the buds shrivelled and didn't open, and after one winter I lost the entire plant.
With P.veitchii (and anomala) I have never had any problems or deaths ( daurica types and officinalis types are more difficult here), and I have thought P.veitchii to be the most reliable peony here in my garden.  It grows here mostly in semishade or some sun, but not in dry sunny sandy slope where P.officinalis does well. It grows also well in clay soil where many peonies get botrytis but not weitchii or anomala.
I can send you seeds of P.veitchii next autumn, unfortunately I don't have any left now.
Leena from south of Finland

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Re: Paeonia 2024
« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:25:26 PM »
My veitchii is not flowering this year, which is my fault as I've let it get overcrowded so must move it. My emodi (from wild-collected seed) has just opened its first flower with several more to come. It does seem quite prone to botrytis and needs watching.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal