We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Small Iris - help needed  (Read 7643 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Small Iris - help needed
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:40 AM »
The fact is Luit, that Thomas and others have so atuned our senses, or our sight anyway, to the slightest sign of virus in crocuses that when it appears somewhere else, it's inclined to leap out at us. I agree with Maggi, that if we suspect virus we should say so. Then the owners of such plants have the option to retain or dispose of the plant concerned. And of course they can always seek other opinions, even to having the plant tested, if there's the inclination.

In the case of bearded irises, unless frequently drenched in systemic insecticides - which not everyone likes to do - they are utter martyrs to greenfly/aphis, known vectors of plant viruses.

Besides, we DO know what it is, an hy brid of I. pumila. I'd bet my life on it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michal Hoppel

• WWW.ALPINES.PL
    • ALPINES.PL portal
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 07:34:56 AM »
Many thanks for all of you for that discussion and classification of this iris. News for that iris are not good - first that it is not a species (it was marked previously as I.attica) and second that it is slightly virused. I agree with Maggi and Lesley that on this forum we should say it like that - the whole truth about plant , not only part of that. Thanks again for your help.

Poznań - Western Poland

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:48 AM »
I think that if we see a virus we should say so indeed. I've had it three times now (twice on a single (newly bought) crocus) and once on Arisaema candidissimum). The virus on the A. candidissimum was pointed out to me too. It's never nice to hear something like that but I think it's better to know than not to know. Some viruses that have little or no effect on the plant where it's found can destroy other plants in a couple of weeks.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Re: Small Iris - pumilla types
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »
It wasn`t my aim to offend Michal with my determination of the virus infection !

A lot of plants of Eupogon on the market are infected.They grow without great damages.For example: Allmost all I. variegata f. alba are infected ! But it is most dangerous if the virus jumpes to other sections like Junos, oncocyclus.

Lesley: Yes, the flower of I. pumila is a little bid taller, but the same plant on two different soil mixes and places look completely different.Here are some I. pumila with umcommon colouration, all are true species.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:10:05 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »
Gerhard that's a brilliant selection if Iris pumila. Where do you find them? I have only seen yellow and purple for sale
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »
I see that my posting was taken serious, which wasn’t this time….. ;D ;D

I have the feeling that Maggi was very near to see through, as she referred to
the virus discussion with the Croconuts and indeed I was a bit afraid that
the same could happen here again.
I find it o.k. when there is a virus, to tell the person who posted the picture.
but sometimes I find the reactions a bit overdone.
I mean that it is for many people not so dramatic to have a beautiful flowering plant year after year in the garden, as long as they understand what it is.
In Iridaceae it is almost impossible to keep all stock free of virus for many years.
Iridaceae are very susceptible to stress and it is probably one of the reasons
that under wrong (read: not the same as in nature) circumstances plants get virused.
When you start from seed again you will become healthy plants again, but when you want to keep old varieties it will be a problem.

In Michal’s situation I would not destroy such a beautiful plant.
Unless you only want to keep plants where you are 100 % sure about the name.

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 07:31:25 PM »
I wouldnt dump it either but keep a close eye for aphids
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Re: Small Iris - pumilla and lutescens
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
It needs a long time  >:( to get these selections, a lot of luck  8)  and good friends  :)

In the pict you can see that the greatest part fall in yellow and common blue colouration.You can see two yellow selections of the seedlings of I. lutescens in the second growing year.

I have new designed a great part of my Iris-area in the garden.So in fall I can give away divisions of different I. pumila strains to collectors.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:10:37 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
You are right of course Gerhard, about the same plant in different conditions. I'm not surprized (now) by the beautiful varirty of colour and form as shown in your pictures. In another Iris thread there are pictures taken in the wild, in Austria and somewhere in Ukraine or Georgia I think, or Hungary, with MANY colours shown. I am very fortunate that two lovely Forum members have sent me seed from these areas so I may hope for some very special plants in due course.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »
Gerhard, what a beautiful selection of species and seedlings.
This made a grey winter day look sunny again.
Thanks for showing.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 11:04:39 PM »
Don't the blue colours (in the first  picture of the group of pots of lutescens ) really show up clearly against the yellows and pale shades? Even without increasing the size of that photo the colours are singing!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 08:43:38 AM »
Wonderful collection Gerhard !
I agree with Maggi the blues are verrrrrrrrrry good...
If you have some to spare...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 08:49:41 AM »
Wow Gerhard - fantastic plants! :D
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
Gerhard they are wonderful plants in very nicce colours.

here are some of my small ones,slightly less exciting.The Iris pumila is one I was given and I think came from Hungary.

The Iris pseudopumila are from Italy and it is interesting to see Gerhard's lutescens because mine have also been identified as being that species (who knows)

The Iris suaveolens and the Iris schactii are both from Turkey. I have heard that it has been decided that the Iris attica from near Delphi in Greece of which I have several are now I. suaveolens. (again who knows, they are all nice.)
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
As you wrote Tony - all very nice indeed !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal