We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris lazica in the wild  (Read 9871 times)

biodiversite

Re: Iris lazica in the wild
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 09:46:33 PM »
it's interesting for me as the two plants are very different and grow side by side in my garden : Iris "lazica" (front) has thin leaves, flowers stripped and on short pedicels but held above the folliage : Iris unguicularis (behind) has large leaves, flowers not stripped and among the leaves/ Identification could be wrong, but at least on an horticultural point of vue, it's difficult to consider the two ones under the same name...  :-\

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 10:15:05 PM »
These are the two forms I was talking about.
The thin one can be either ssp carica or ssp cretensis, the leaves are too thin and do not stand still, this is why the flowers grow above them.
Often in the wild leaves dry out completely in summer and new leaves appear next winter.

The form with the wide leaves can be either originated in Algeria or can be a cultivar,
this form is widely grown in Israel and it stays evergreen even with no irrigation.

There is variation in the color of the flowers and the existence or lack of stripes.

If you go back to the first page in this thread you can see  photos we have posted of the different forms.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:23:07 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »
I find it difficult to see either plant as I lazica.The leaves on the front one are unguicularis and I wolud say the back one is as well.

I lazica has wide soft leaves whilst the unguicularis has tough ones.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal