We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodophiala rhodolirion  (Read 11932 times)

winwen

Re: Rhodophiala rhodolirion
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »
Alessandro,
to make your mouth watering  ;D: pictures of Rhodophiala rhodolirion can be found at the following addresses:
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Rhodophiala
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/85175/
http://flickr.com/photos/twiga_269/2309945705/

I have bought seeds of Rh. rodolirion 2 years ago and saw them one year later under cool but frostfree conditions in moist Seramis. About 80% germinated and grew well - no signs of fungal infections. After the foliage withered, the tiny bulbs were stored at room-temperature in (relatively) dry Seramis. In Autumn I wetted the Seramis a little and put the plants in the frigerator. I think that either the Seramis was a bit too moist or the temperature of 4 degree centigrade is a bit too high, because yesterday I saw that some of the plants started growing.
Nevertheless, I found cultivating it not really challenging -at least in their first year. I hope for many more good seasons and -finally- a rewarding plant (as shown in the pictures).
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 09:53:44 PM »
A couple of pictures of a rhodophiala in the wild in Chile in January
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
Alessandro,
to make your mouth watering  ;D: pictures of Rhodophiala rhodolirion can be found at the following addresses:
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Rhodophiala
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/85175/
http://flickr.com/photos/twiga_269/2309945705/

I have bought seeds of Rh. rodolirion 2 years ago and saw them one year later under cool but frostfree conditions in moist Seramis. About 80% germinated and grew well - no signs of fungal infections. After the foliage withered, the tiny bulbs were stored at room-temperature in (relatively) dry Seramis. In Autumn I wetted the Seramis a little and put the plants in the frigerator. I think that either the Seramis was a bit too moist or the temperature of 4 degree centigrade is a bit too high, because yesterday I saw that some of the plants started growing.
Nevertheless, I found cultivating it not really challenging -at least in their first year. I hope for many more good seasons and -finally- a rewarding plant (as shown in the pictures).

Winwen
sure the humid climate and a problem, creed is a problem also their winter increase, from we does not receive sufficient sun. The plants in vegetation are accustomed with growing of the days, these endure an inverse cycle
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
Again, fascinating to hear about conditions for bifida in the wild Alberto.  I hadn't realised that bulbs migrated quite so deep; certainly not easy to reproduce in a pot!  Can you tell us anything about the growth conditions of the Chilean species R. serotina, collected by Watson but apparently not yet described?  Very dry I suppose.

Speaking of synonyms John, I have just learned from the Kew monocot checklist that the accepted name for elwesii is R. gilliesiana.

[For the search engine: Rhodophiala bifida elwesii gilliesiana serotina]
Ashley
I knew that Rhodophiala elwesii and synonym of Rhodophiala mendocina
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:33 PM »

Is there anywhere you have not been Tony? 8)
As always, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Ezeiza

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 01:32:09 AM »
Hi Ashley:

You can stop Rhodophialas by planting right at the very bottom of the pot.. Of course the deeper the beter. This will sound surprising but depth is related to "stem" resistance to support the weight of the inflorescence and infructescence.

It is in doubt if mendocina and elwesii are synonims.

The Rhodophialas that are alpine: elwesii, mendocina, montana, splendens, rhodolirion, andicola, araucana.

As for serotina, if you mention the habitat data in the packet I can tell you about the habitat. It is a published species or John Watson would not use the name.

Regards
Alberto

Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »

Is there anywhere you have not been Tony? 8)
As always, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Tony it was my retirement gift to myself taken after 10 years when I plucked up the courage to go. I wish I had seen the white forms of the rhodophiala but they were some distance away and time ran out.I used John Watsons articles in the AGS journals from the 1970's as a guide and the plants were just where he said they would be.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »
I used John Watsons articles in the AGS journals from the 1970's as a guide and the plants were just where he said they would be.

Tony, it seems we followed the same tracks!

For me a mountain of work when I prepared the trip because John Watson's florid style isn't easy to understand for Non English persons.
Nevertheless his hints were invaluable.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:59 PM »
Gerd when those articles were written I do not think it was ever expected that people would travel in such numbers to far flung places and visit the places written about. I think it shows the integrity of John Watson's writing that  standing reading the text at the places he described was like looking at a photograph. Truly a great credit to him as he could so easily have made it up expecting that nobody would ever be any wiser.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:48:44 PM »
"The main mistake, using compost in the mix and watering too much."

I agree with Alberto here - I've also had the greatest success in planting Chilean Rhodophiala species in pure, washed river sand or in "decomposed" granite. Feeding with a dilute "hydroponic" fertilizer is essential while they are in growth. Placea ornata also seems to appreciate this method of potting - holding thumbs for flowers in the not too distant future...
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
This Rhodophiala I found near of Concepcion /South - Chile. As all other species I have seen also this lowland species has a perfectly drainaged  habitat - this one grows on a very sandy soil - has anybody an idea which species could this be?
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
As Hans says they were growing in perfectly drained soil with no humus,almost grit. Here is the only other one I saw

Ezeiza

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
Hi:

To Hans A., the pale salmon and region points to R.advena. This is a very easy species (easy for a Chilean bulb).

Regards
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »
Alberto, many thanks.

Tony, where did you take this picture? It looks a bit like Rhodophiala montana an andean species of Central Chile.

Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »
I sowed (F&W) seed of Rhodophiala rhodolirion in 2004 and one seed germinated quite quickly, although no more came through.  I did read that it liked to go deep, so I have grown it on in a long pot (like a root trainer in shape).
It has grown on very slowly but looks healthy.  Does anyone know how large is a flowering size bulb? 

Rhodophila rhodolirion
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal