We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: This year's Crocus cvijicii...  (Read 14012 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: This year's Crocus cvijicii...
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »
Is that something else?

BTW, thanks for the magazine Mark. :)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerry Webster

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
I bought some Crocus and a Crocus has come up but not what I was expecting. Same supplier as everyone else. Are we about to name and shame?

I daresay there will be different opinions on this. Over the years I have bought bulbs & seeds from most of the suppliers trading in the UK & I cannot think of one who has not at some time supplied poor quality or wrongly named plants. In my view, the difference between a good supplier & a poor one is how they respond to complaints. Last year I was happy to contribute to the thread criticising the company who supplied C. angustifolius for  C. cvijicii not because of the wrongly named plants but because their response to a complaint was complacent & dismissive.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »
I bought some Crocus and a Crocus has come up but not what I was expecting. Same supplier as everyone else. Are we about to name and shame?

Mark I am not in any way suggesting this and think it is quite wrong to name suppliers and could be  possibly be illegal, I just get frustrated by obscure postings. You did not even indicate it was a wrongly named crocus,it could have been a different genus you had been supplied with. You say same supplier as everybody else and yet I am sure many people have no idea who this is. I have withdrawn my post and am sorry for having written it.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
I'm all for naming and shaming PROVIDED that the suppliers attention has been drawn to the problem and that he has failed to respond to it in an appropriate way. There can be a number of reasons why the 'wrong' bulb comes up; a mistake in packing; a mistake made by a wholesaler supplying a retailer and no doubt others. I would not expect any reputable supplier to intentionally supply the 'wrong' product in order to deceive or defraud a customer.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »
I'm all for naming and shaming PROVIDED that the suppliers attention has been drawn to the problem and that he has failed to respond to it in an appropriate way. There can be a number of reasons why the 'wrong' bulb comes up; a mistake in packing; a mistake made by a wholesaler supplying a retailer and no doubt others. I would not expect any reputable supplier to intentionally supply the 'wrong' product in order to deceive or defraud a customer.

An excellent point, David.

Tony, I do not believe it would be illegal to mention a company with whom one had had bad trading experiences....if that were the case the BBC "Watchdog" programme and others like it would never be aired!

I would ask forumists to be more careful about  making vague or obscure posts... perhaps a good rule of thumb, if not making a post which follows directly on from one which you refer to, would be to "Quote" the post YOUR post addresses. Thanks !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rob Potterton

• humble, down-trodden nurseryman!!
    • Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
Below something to brighten up this topic ........ from a humble, down trodden nurseryman.
Rob Potterton  Lincolnshire  UK

Potterton's on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottertons-Nursery/130403187026232

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:33 PM »
Flowering now Rob? Really nice in a large group like that
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »
I am sorely tempted, humble down-trodden nurseryman, to ask you who sold you Crocus sieberi 'Ronald Ginns'  as Crocus cvijicii   ;D ;)  
Instead I will rejoice that you have handed me a new forum nick name for you on a plate!! :-*

Is  'Ronald Ginn', the same Ginn as in Galanthus 'Ginn's Imperator' ?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »
Put me down for some of them Rob ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
I just wanted to make clear the difference between last year's (Miniature Bulbs) and this (apparently we're not yet saying) wrong C  cvijicii suppliers. It's about 9 pounds per corm. Which is why I was happy to take a punt last year, and was anything but surprised (and not particularly disappointed) when they were wrong, despite assurances from the nurseryman. This year, on the other hand...

Alex

Rob Potterton

• Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »
Mark, happy new year. The photograph of Ronald Ginns was taken from our display at RHS Show, Vincent Square in February 2008, no sign of growth today - like me they are still hiding from sub zero temperatures but they should be up & looking cute by the middle of February.
Maggi - spent 5 minutes in "Profile" failing to change back my forum nickname ..... ok, fair enuf - you win. Crocus sieberi 'Ronald Ginns' was raised by Mr Ray Cobb, Nottingham, UK and named by him after his late friend Ronald Ginns who i understand was very well known as a grower of cactus in the 1950's / 1960's. I don't know about the Galanthus connection.

On the subject of incorrectly named Crocus cvijicii, in the first instance the nursery involved should be informed of their error and permitted to resolve the issue. When this situation happens at our nursery we apologise, give a refund, let the customer keep the bulb, then check our stock or get a supplier to check his stock and then endeavour to resupply correct to name the following season. Please realise the vast majority of retail bulb suppliers do not cultivate ALL of the bulbs offered in their catalogues. Currently from our new 2009 bulb catalogue approximately 35% of the varieties offered are propogated & cultivated in our nursery, for the remainder we rely on tried & tested suppliers. I see nothing wrong in this pratice provided the bulbs or plants are correctly named. We too had offered & supplied Crocus cvijicii in autumn 2007, purchased from a proven wholesale supplier that summer which then turned out to be Crocus angustifolius. We were highlighted to this problem initially through the comments on this forum and then by complaints from several customers. We apologised for the mistake, gave refunds and notified the supplier. In summer of 2008 Crocus cvijicii continued to be offered from several wholesale suppliers, all at very low prices, quite obviously we did not offer cvijicii in 2008 knowing the bulbs were incorrectly named.

I hope this explanation offers an understanding of how bulbs are sometimes supplied incorrectly named in the trade.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:09:46 PM by Rob Potterton »

Potterton's on Facebook:

Gerry Webster

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »
When this situation happens at our nursery we apologise, give a refund, let the customer keep the bulb.....
I can confirm Rob's statement from my own experience.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
Rob, it is extremely helpful to have your professional comments and insight on these matters.
Would that some others were so open and direct as yourself.

We too had offered & supplied Crocus cvijicii in autumn 2007, purchased from a proven wholesale supplier that summer which then turned out not to be Crocus angustifolius

I think that you have made a wee typing slip there and probably meant to write " then turned out not to be Crocus cvijicii but Crocus angustifolius "

Rob, if you really hate your nickname then you can remove it yourself..... just a question of clicking the right buttons in Profile,and I will certainly remove it for you if you wish..... but it's so sweet to have you as humble and down-trodden, when you are so clearly able and willing to fight your corner  8) ;D
Let me know........
M

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:39:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Rob Potterton

• Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
Maggi, i am naturally impetuous so having to live up to my new "humble" nickname could be beneficial - but so sweet i am not  ;)
Yuk, hot today so back to a 7 day week starting with the packing of Pleione orders. Cheers
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:59:22 PM by Rob Potterton »

Potterton's on Facebook:

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:02 PM »
Hmmm...looks a lot like my Crocus korolkowii "Dytiscus" from the same source, about which a phone call will shortly ensue

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal