We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: This year's Crocus cvijicii...  (Read 14015 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: This year's Crocus cvijicii...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »
The question has to be why has s/he got away with it for so long
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Maybe I'm too patient. Do you mean the Australian orchid "seedlings"? I had to search for the Pterostylis bulb I ordered for two hours I think ;) Oops, that seems to be complaint number four.
I think the "invisible" seedlings were  hybrid cypripediums ........ whatever, when we eventually found something that MIGHT have been a seedling, it died from fright anyway!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »
The question has to be why has s/he got away with it for so long
The answer might be: because most people are, for the most part, satisfied with what they get.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »
No sign of what I bought as cvijicii, but there is a bud showing of 'Cream of Creams', which I know to be correct.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Jim

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
Hi All,
I purchased the real plant a few years ago from Norman Stevens of Cambridge Bulbs. I bought only one and wish I had more as it doesn't seem to multiply for me although it looks great and flowers well. Unfortunately he didn't offer it last year but It has appeared on his list off and on so it might be worth checking his list this year when it comes out.
Jim
Jim

Delaware, USA

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 08:47:21 PM »
I purchased the real plant a few years ago from Norman Stevens of Cambridge Bulbs. I bought only one and wish I had more as it doesn't seem to multiply for me although it looks great and flowers well. Unfortunately he didn't offer it last year but It has appeared on his list off and on so it might be worth checking his list this year when it comes out. Jim

Mine also came from Norman Stevens and is here:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1121.195

It has only made one small offset from 3 bulbs in 3 years.  With the present weather conditions, it may be a little later flowering this year than last
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 08:55:21 PM »
I have only seen it as individual plants in the wild and not found any with off-sets so it may be that it is not one that multiplies easily.  Cue for a picture of a clump in the wild to prove me wrong!
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
I too had it from Norman Stevens some years ago but, like so many plants, I lost it fairly quickly. In his 1995 catalogue it is described as from Jim Archibald seed & it cost £4.50 per corm - fairly pricey by Norman's standards & in fact the most expensive crocus in his list.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Jim

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
Gerry,
The price may be the reason I only purchased one. You mentioned you lost yours quickly. I keep my plant shaded in a woodland bed. It gets a little sun in the morning but thats it and stays fairly cool. C. banaticus and C. veluchensis do well here also. It always flowers nicely just doesn't increase. It looks as though seed production may be the way to go.
Jim
Jim

Delaware, USA

Gerry Webster

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Jim - very interesting. I potted up my solitary bulb in the same 'woodsy' mix I use for C. banaticus & kept it uncovered & plunged in the same shaded conditions. C. banaticus thrived (& still does) while C. cvijicii disappeared after one flowering. Perhaps it does better planted out? I have never tried it since, partly because it is rarely offered but mainly because of the price.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 08:00:01 PM »
I bought a single corm from (what was then) Potterton and Martin, back in '93 so 15 years ago. It has increased by about a dozen in that time and always flowers well but has never set any seed except when fortuitously pollinated by C. veluchensis. I probably have half a dozen now, having given away a few.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
I meant to mention that mine have always been in 1st, a very gritty trough and 2nd, in a very gritty/gravelly raised bed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
I was just looking at some Crocus cvijicii photos and was struck by the difference in colour there seems to be in these two shots..... different light conditions etc.........interesting because we have been considering camera reproduction of yellow/gold/orange c shaeds in another thread.... about Crocus 'Uscak Orange'
in this page...http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2860.msg68248#new

Here are the two Crocus cvijicii pix, the first from mid-February 2007 , the next from (a week later in..) 2008

98856-0

98858-1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:50:01 PM by Maggi Young »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
Very impressive Maggi. I guess Aberdeen must be more like northern Greece than Brighton is. Then there is the little matter of cultivation skills......

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
Very impressive Maggi. I guess Aberdeen must be more like northern Greece than Brighton is. Then there is the little matter of cultivation skills......
Mmmm...
Aberdeen  more like northern Greece than Brighton
?..... well, I havent spent any time in Northern Greece,  so it's hard to tell......but if you're offering a ticket?  ::)

Then there is the little matter of cultivation skills......
..... and that is nothing to do with me, of course... these beauties are the province of the BD, or  beloved Despot  ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal