We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: This year's Crocus cvijicii...  (Read 14013 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
This year's Crocus cvijicii...
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
Having been one of those who tried to buy this excellent Crocus from Miniature Bulbs last year, only to find it was C. angustifolius (to be fair, I expected that in view of the price) I have this year paid proper cvijicii money for 3 corms from a leading UK mail order nursery which are coming up now and look to be clearly the wrong thing. I have a few corms of the true species so I do know what it should look like. Anyone else had the same experience? I thought I'd better not name and shame until absolutely sure, but it's pretty much obvious. The same establishment also sold me the beautiful 'Dytiscus' clone of C. korolkowii which has a big bud now (everything early here); it is certainly korolkowii but looks not remotely darkly coloured enough to be this form. Am I alone? Just interested to see if others harbour similar suspicions.

Even my Miniature Bulbs bakerianas have come up with 4 sided stems! But I suspect it's just a mix up, that source is normally pretty good.

Cheers,

Alex

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: This year's Crocus cvijicii...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »
After last year I didnt bother trying to get a few more corms of Crocus cvijicii. I'll wait until someone I can trust offers them.

I've also had wrong bulbs from the same supplier as you. A few years ago said person suggested I wrote the wrong name on the label! I also returned soft very mouldy Iris during autumn 2007 and never heard anything back.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »
Like Mark I decided to leave Crocus cvijicii alone this year. But, one of these years..........!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »
I was tempted by his description this year

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »
Wise to resist it seems

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Alex is it C. angustifolius again?

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »
Like I just to Maggi I would like to know who is conning who? Said supplier always says this corm/bulb/rhizome ... was supplied by this that and the other well known grower. Are they conning him or is s/he conning us. It may be that bulbs have been wrong for years and we were sitting at home thinking isnt this a beaut and being none the wiser that is was something different. It's now thanks to all the experts that now frequent the forum that we are catching on.

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »
It hasn't flowered but the leaves are well up already totally unlike cvijicii (or those I've seen anyway). Could be any number of things including angustifolius, in which case it can join the enormous drift of them in the garden following last year's cvijicii purchase.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
I have had two occasions to complain to this supplier. The first was about 20 years ago when the response was totally inadequate.  I think at that time he had overextended himself & tended to supply poor quality bulbs.  The second was last year when a damaged bulb was replaced immediately & my postage refunded. Otherwise, the bulbs I have had from this source over the last three years have been of excellent quality & true to name.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:01:01 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:57:30 PM »
I ordered a C. cvijicii of that company too this year, leaves are just showing so I don't know yet but I'll keep an eye out to see if it's the real deal. It wouldn't be the first time I get something that isn't up to standard from that supplier but I never can stop buying from him (too many goodies :))
I've ordered a lot of them in the last couple of years but this would only be the third time I would have to complain. Normally they deliver very good bulbs.

Wim
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
Do you never get under sized bulbs? I have

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
Sometimes I had to wait one or more years  before they wanted to flower (I think I had to wait for three years before my Scoliopus hallii had it's first flower) but with some of them I don't mind the wait because I can't find them anywhere else (although they can be a bit expensive for not flowering bulbs)

Wim
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »
If we are talking about rare bulbs  (  ::)  ) then I am fed up with talk of "naturally small" bulbs of things which I know, when grown well, will be like fat apples for size. Yes, there are some things which do make naturally small corms... like Rhodohypoxis, for instance, which never cease to amze me with the number of flowers you can get from a tiny corm.
 I think six or so years to wait for the first, pathetic flower from a frit bulb supplied as FS is just too much, however. :P   Likewise the orchid seedlings which needed a hand lens to find them in the moss!  :P >:(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:27:26 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »
Maybe I'm too patient. Do you mean the Australian orchid "seedlings"? I had to search for the Pterostylis bulb I ordered for two hours I think ;) Oops, that seems to be complaint number four.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
Some of my Rhodohypoxis went to Sweden in November. I felt guilty giving the tiny bulbs.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal