We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Muscari ... and some relatives 2009  (Read 74524 times)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: Muscari ... and some relatives 2009
« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
Thanks for the ID confirmation!  We don't actually have reliable snow cover normally (this winter was the first in 12 years where we saw almost constant snow cover due to much higher than usual snow falls) so they are just very tough!

Lori, mine have done that too in the past.
Simon, were you referring to developing more than 1 leaf on what seems to be the same plant?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:57:02 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #331 on: May 10, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »
Sorry Lori- yes that's what i meant. The same patch has had plants with more than the usual 1 'wrap around' leaf, but they are usually smaller and thinner.
Flowering today a plant I bought from a garden centre as Muscari argaei album- it never flowered in the UK- so I was happy when it finally showed buds here. Now I know it can't be the name on the label. Any ideas?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #332 on: May 10, 2009, 08:57:47 PM »
Thanks very much for the confirmation, Simon!  It's hard to know if some statements referring to plant IDs (such as the one in Rix and Phillips about a single leaf) should be taken as an absolute truth, or just as a useful clue... it's evidently the latter in this case.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:09:30 PM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Sinchets

« Reply #333 on: May 10, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
Well that being said maybe we both have Muscari latifolium from the same source and it isn't true  ;)
Actually I think most guidebooks do tend to develop flaws when you take them out into nature.
Simon

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #334 on: May 11, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
Simon,
your mislabled plant resembles Muscari comosum.
Best wishes
Armin

Sinchets

« Reply #335 on: May 11, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
Thanks Armin.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 03:24:58 PM by Sinchets »
Simon

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #336 on: May 12, 2009, 04:05:38 AM »
And very nice it is too. Others I've seen of comosum are looser and much less classy. Even the foliage is attractive and relatively restrained for a Muscari.

This morning my friend Susan phoned and we only talked for a minute or two, well, about an hour and 3/4 I think and during that time I learned that the Warehouse - our cheap and quite cheerful chain where you can buy heaps and heaps of rubbish but the occasional good thing as well, had, in their garden centre part, pots with no labels but the notice beside them just said "Assorted Muscari." Susan was sure they were M. macrocarpum and bought a pot with 4 or 5 bulb in flower. So I downed the vacuum cleaner, as you do, and took a trip to town and found about 50 such pots, all in full flower. I was very greedy and bought 3, with a total of 13 flower stems and some more to come. They had no scent in the store but the day is jolly cold. By the time I got them home, the car smelled like a funeral parlour or florist shop and for now, I've left them outside but will bring one in when the rain stops and I can tidy them a little. I suspect that they are imported and have had no chilling for a period, or other acclimatization or they wouldn't be in bloom in the southern hemisphere in early winter. We'll have to turn their seasons around when they die down. Susan and I understand this but I doubt if the majority of local shoppers will realize it or how to go about it. I'll take a picture when the rain stops. They were $7.99 for 5 bulbs, about 60p per bulb.

I also bought what the checkout thought was nothing but I had felt about and knew the plant was in there, of the hybrid between Rhodohypoxis and Hypoxis, called x Rhodoxis. Picture shows a white one, to go with my little plant of 'Hebron Pink.' It was $1.99 marked down from $4.99 because it had died down and many would assume there was nothing in the pot.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:23:41 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Sinchets

« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2009, 05:42:38 AM »
Two great buys then Lesley, I hope you were smiling like a Cheshire Cat all day. Would that we could be so lucky buying things like that at our local version of the store!
Simon

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2009, 03:29:53 AM »
I brought mine inside and they scented the kitchen.   In fact, this morning I went and bought another pot and the "Rhodoxis" which I purchased for $1.49!

Asked the guy who looks after  the plant area and he said they were from a North Island supplier who forced them into flower for their winter market.  Might pay to keep an eye out for more interesting things. 

Have passed the word around a couple of other enthusiasts here, as it would be good to see them go to good homes.

Susan.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2009, 07:03:16 AM »
I took a couple of pics tonight in the kitchen but the flash isn't working and they are almost black. I'll try outside tomorrow. The rain has stopped and there was a gleam of sunshine today. I've taken off 5 spent stems and there are still 21, including some barely started yet. Maybe there will be even more to come. Not bad, at least 26 stems on 12 bulbs. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2009, 07:17:36 AM »
Lesley, as they were forced into flower I presume they came from Holland.
In that case it is probably Muscari Golden Fragrance. This is grown here in quite big quantities.
I showed a picture of it in the Keukenhof Thread where they were planted in long beds.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:27:18 AM by Lvandelft »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
I brought mine inside and they scented the kitchen.   In fact, this morning I went and bought another pot and the "Rhodoxis" which I purchased for $1.49!

Asked the guy who looks after  the plant area and he said they were from a North Island supplier who forced them into flower for their winter market.  Might pay to keep an eye out for more interesting things. 

Have passed the word around a couple of other enthusiasts here, as it would be good to see them go to good homes.

Susan.

===============================================================================
Checked the Warehouse down here --unfortunately only available in Timaru and Dunedin  :'( :'( :'( and they ,(Dunedin),refuse to send any by courier " as they are just coming into flower and will be damaged in transit"--which is a load of rubbish as i've had many other plants sent over the years from even further afield with no problems.

As an interest Lesley how will you go about turning them around to acclimatize ?.
Ta .

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:08:43 AM by Maggi Young »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
I took a couple of pics tonight in the kitchen but the flash isn't working and they are almost black. I'll try outside tomorrow. The rain has stopped and there was a gleam of sunshine today. I've taken off 5 spent stems and there are still 21, including some barely started yet. Maybe there will be even more to come. Not bad, at least 26 stems on 12 bulbs. :)

And is the foliage okay Lesley? 
I bought M. macrocarpum 'Golden Fragrance' several times from different suppliers over the last few years but unfortunately each and every bulb was virus-infected >:(  Eventually I resorted to seed but will have the wait a while for the wonderful flowers and scent :-\
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #343 on: May 13, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »
Dave, I am happy to purchase some for you.  Will take a photo of mine so you can see what you will be getting first.

Have had a look at the ones I have and see no sign of virus. 

Susan.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #344 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
The foliage seems OK, no streaking or splotches. A few leaves are a little browned at the tips but that looks more like the usual muscari tip that I see among most Muscari I grow. They are perhaps more lemony coloured than golden and the scent is HUGE. That usual cloying sweetness, with an undercurrent of the common grape hyacinth.

Dave, yould you like me to get some for you? They had a lot so should be available tomorrow when I go into town for a meeting.

As for acclimatizing, or retrieving from forcing, I'll probably just plant them out and let them do whatever they want. They may not be too good next year but should recover for the following spring.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal