We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop cultivation advice  (Read 20518 times)

steve owen

Re: Snowdrop cultivation advice
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »
Eh bien, mes amis...

Back to eelworm. I now possess a helpful Horticultural Development Couhcil advice sheet that tells me to "cook" the affected bulbs in water with a dash of added formaldehyde at a temperature of 44.4 degrees C for 3 hours (they are very precise about the temperature; I imagine that since the 3 hours is the time for a narcissus bulb, a little galanthus bulb could receive a little less).
So, Q for the galacticos; how do I maintain the water at that temperature for that time? (Bright ideas please (apart from sitting there with a butane gas flame, a thermometer and a fire extinguisher).
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Thermos.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »
 ;D
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »
A heater/thermostat as used in a fish tank.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »
Eh bien, mes amis...

Back to eelworm. I now possess a helpful Horticultural Development Couhcil advice sheet that tells me to "cook" the affected bulbs in water with a dash of added formaldehyde at a temperature of 44.4 degrees C for 3 hours (they are very precise about the temperature; I imagine that since the 3 hours is the time for a narcissus bulb, a little galanthus bulb could receive a little less).
So, Q for the galacticos; how do I maintain the water at that temperature for that time? (Bright ideas please (apart from sitting there with a butane gas flame, a thermometer and a fire extinguisher).

Sorry, but I can't see anything in this thread about eelworm prior to this, nor why you think you might have snowdrops infected with eelworm. Did you say in another thread something about having a bit of ground that might have eelworm? Do you think any of your snowdrops have eelworm?
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »
A heater/thermostat as used in a fish tank.
Smart thinking! :D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:48 PM »
Mark et al -- Your second last Stag picture. I have the same here on one Hippeastrum bulb  - hole in the bulb layer and a few reddish marks.  In no way has it affected the vigour of the one bulb in question. In fact the bulb is only 6-7 cm across and is putting up its 4th flower stalk.  The leaves are clean. The flower stalks are reddish on the bottom third but appears to be normal not Stag. Should I toss it to be safe?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »

If you were in a laboratory you would use a thermocouple, a heater and a PID controller.  PID controllers are explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller .  You can use one to maintain something at a fixed temperature or to vary the temperature in a controlled manner (e.g. ramp the temperature at x degrees per minute).  For example, you could use one of these http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/items/item.aspx?itemid=4449701&utm_source=baseuk&utm_medium=shopping&CAWELAID=202600171 at £18.90 , a type K thermocouple and wire your heater (an old kettle might do) into it.  Well, you did ask.       
Almost in Scotland.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:59 PM »
I can see you smiling Alan. ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
I can see you smiling Alan. ;D

I am smiling, but on the other hand in my laboratory days a PID controller would set you back hundreds of pounds.  To look and find one at under £20 seems so amazing I am tempted to rush out an order for one and keep it until I find a use for it!  You would probably pay more for the aquarium controller and then find you could not set it above 40C!  My wife does pottery and I rigged up a PID controller to control the temperature of her kiln.  That one was salvaged from my old laboratory when it closed down.  It works very well and allows her to raise the kiln temperature at a controlled rate then hold the temperature steady.
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
Thanks folks, several ideas to pursue. I hoped when posting my previous message that there would be threaders who knew their stuff in this area, and lo and behold I now know to go away and pursue fish tank thremostats, thermos flasks and PID things. V grateful. I shall hit Google.

Martin; yes, the eelworm bit tracks back to a separate thread titled "drench fungicides" dating from 2 January; when I tried to post again on this thread the system told me to go and open an new one.  My eelworm got at a Clump of Wendys Gold which was growing well (I make that point because I heard that if your drops were cultivated well and healthy, they didn't get eelworm). Any experience  or advice you have would be gratefully received.
Beds/Bucks border

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »
John that is up to you.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
On the question. How do you know you have eelworms?
In Narcissus they tend to attack some layers but not others so a cut across shows brown rings.
They are visible in a relatively cheap microscope.
I got them in bulbs of Narcissus 'Apricot Distinction' bought from Holland in the days of inspection at the border.
Obviously the inspection and all red tape that was in effect in those days had no effect on the eelworms.
I never got as far as to try cooking them. I assembled the equipment but it was too nmuc bother. :(
Göte. 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 11:59:55 AM »
yes, the eelworm bit tracks back to a separate thread titled "drench fungicides" dating from 2 January; when I tried to post again on this thread the system told me to go and open an new one
Hmm, not sure why that happened... it should only give a message asking if you really want to post again to a thread that has been dormant for over a month   :-X
Anyway, I have merged the two topics so all  comments are now gathered here.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

steve owen

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »
 ;D ;D
I should add that a Personal Messager has suggested that if I am intent on "cooking" showdrop bulbs, maybe a deep fat fryer with some chips.
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal