We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop cultivation advice  (Read 20517 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Snowdrop cultivation advice
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »
David :

I'm not shure how long is possibly to use Benlate .....I suppose after more than 2 years is it not more really helpfull ....

We have here in Germany ( with the new EU restrictions since 01.01.09 ) only really few medicin for our plants .
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2009, 08:29:08 PM »
Hans, taking into account that Benlate has been off the market for quite a few years now I doubt if it will be any good but I will give it a try.

Being (good!!) members of the EU we too are suffering from having less and less available for garden use.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »
David ,

in my older book is given a advice for using :

Make a dilution of 0,2 % Benomyl and lay the bulbs for 30 minutes inside

Benomyl is not well soluble ....add a dash of washing - up liquid
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »
The guaranteed shelf life of Benlate seems to be 2 years.
However, you will find figures like 5 years quoted by those who use it.
A couple of years ago, I saved the life of a severely diseased Trillium vasyeii using Benlate that was purchased in the early seventies.
It must have been 30 years old and it worked.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Ulla Hansson

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »

I have the same experience Göte, Benlate works in many years. My pack is probably 25 years. Sorry, it is not much left, and impossible to buy a new one.
Ulla
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

steve owen

Re: Eelworm treatment
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
Hi folks
Not sure if my SRGC sleight of hand will ensure the previous discussion precedes this post, but I sought advice about eelworm treatment and got some helpful replies including the old proven method of raising the bulbs and immersing them in water heated to a certain temperature.

So I was interested to read the article on P.95 of the current issue of The Garden (RHS) headed "Dealing With Eeelworm" which advocates use of a potato-related plant, solanum sisymbriifolium. An article from the website of a supplier of seeds of this plant, Alan Romans, follows, which repeats the gist of the Garden article.

"Thorny, inedible relative of potatoes which strongly stimulates potato eelworm eggs in the surrounding soil to hatch. The eelworm then find that they have nothing to feed on. In trials 50-90% hatch rates were achieved - a stronger reaction than that produced by potatoes themselves. The plant has a strong, attractive white or blue flower. It can be chopped down to 6" in summer for composting and the regrowth will produce more beneficial root growth as well as more composting material. Assume all parts are poisonous.
Sowing Instructions
Plants can grow more than a metre high but should be chopped for compost before this (wear gloves!). Treat as a half hardy annual or an outdoor tomato. Plant the tomato-like seeds spaced out in trays of suitable compost and keep the temperature above 10degreesC until germination. Plant in areas where potatoes will be grown in subsequent seasons as space allows or at 8"(20cm) intervals in rows 1'(30cm) apart. I intent extending the 4 course rotation in my veg garden to 5 by inserting them in after potatoes but before peas and beans. I will also plant them in any spaces in the non-potato sections."

If it doesn't help snowdrop growers it might be of interest to potato growers!

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal