We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus January- February 2009  (Read 93643 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Narcissus January- February 2009
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
Including these beautiful pictures of the bulb John Forrest grows as 'Julia Jane' and which do equate with what I think is the right thing

I think it  likely that any group of plants raised from JJA seed pop. ref. 705.120 (which is from 'Julia Jane' selfed) will contain some plants which resemble 'JJ' to a greater or lesser extent. However close the resemblance, they are still not entitled to the clonal name. Indeed, according to Blanchard, petunioid forms are fairly common among all these High Atlas hoop-petticoats so we might expect them to occur in any seed-raised population.

John Forrest's plant is certainly very attractive but it  does not have the "whitish spathe" mentioned by John Richards. But why should we believe this is a significant feature ? It is not really much help to say that 'JJ' is like N. cantabricus petunioides since, as we have recently seen, there is uncertainty over the identity of that plant.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:35:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 04:23:28 AM »
It is also very misleading to describe JJ's flowers as "greenish yellow." Pale yellow should be emphasized, or "pale lemon" yellow even better. The ones in Luit's picture seem too cup-shaped to me. John Forrest's look right for shape but are deeper coloured than the true original and could, as Maggi suggests have a camera or lighting issue rather than the wrong bulb.

Seedlings from JJ do vary considerably, all generally similar, especially to colour but the shape of the cups can vary a lot, the second generation (i.e. seedlings of the seedlings) even more so. I think Anthony's equates with 'Atlas Gold' which has a smaller flower than JJ and also has a heavier, more fabric-like (and weather resistant)texture.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:28:34 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
The picture I showed as JJ in the first post of this thread is from a pot with ten young bulbs obtained last year from the AGS Summer bulb sale.  Three are flowering now - three different shapes and colours - only the one I showed in the picture seems to meet the JJ standards...  As mentioned before, they're all beautiful though  :)
I guess they're all seedlings.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »
I think it would be sensible if all these supposed 'JJs' were called N. romieuxii ex 'Julia Jane' or, even better, simply N. romieuxii. I doubt this will happen since the name has acquired an aura of mystery & elusiveness.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 10:36:18 AM »
The pics in reply #57 are exactly the colour of my plant. The fluorescent light in the kitchen darkens mine somewhat. Whatever it is, the small prostrate leaves are much better that the 'grass' in many other varieties.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »
I'm getting hooked on these wee things
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »
There's a fantastic pic of Narcissus bulbocodium ssp. praecox  ‘Moulay Brahim’ on the latest Wisley log. 8) [see http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2009Jan061231251143Log_1_of_2009.pdf]. Not a clone I know, but definitely one to look out for.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:11:58 AM by Anthony Darby »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
I'm getting hooked on these wee things

Glad to hear it!
 I believe that these wee narcissus deserve a much wider audience.... the trouble is that at this time of year, when so many are in full flower, there are very few shows and it is certainly the case that there is nothing like exposure at the shows to engender interest in a group of plants.  I have yet to come across anyone who on encountering these little gems in real life for the first time,  has not been enchanted by them and enthused to learn more.
Yes, they are offered on various lists, but since so many folk don't "know " the plants in real life, it seems they don't much order these types  :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2009, 11:48:06 AM »
The pics in reply #57 are exactly the colour of my plant. The fluorescent light in the kitchen darkens mine somewhat. Whatever it is, the small prostrate leaves are much better that the 'grass' in many other varieties.
Anthony - I didn't notice this the first time round but the prostrate  leaves suggest your plant is not 'Atlas Gold' which has more or less upright foliage ("grass"). Are the leaves rounded or flattened?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:49:54 AM by Gerry Webster »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »
Round, but I'll check later?

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »
I think it would be sensible if all these supposed 'JJs' were called N. romieuxii ex 'Julia Jane' or, even better, simply N. romieuxii. I doubt this will happen since the name has acquired an aura of mystery & elusiveness.

The ex is already on my label Gerry !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »

The ex is already on my label Gerry !  ;)
Congratulations Luc. I hope everyone follows your example.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2009, 03:31:37 PM »
I think I put 'ex' and 'Julia Jane' together my wife would ask difficult questions? ::)

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
I think I put 'ex' and 'Julia Jane' together my wife would ask difficult questions? ::)

Ex-wives don't  ask questions, difficult or otherwise.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal