We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79163 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #360 on: March 25, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »
Thanks!  I have fat fingers compared to these little flowers but I'm used to hand pollinating the crocus so I should have worked it out.  Crocus oten set seed without my intervention though but reticulatas rarely oblige so I wondered if there are any other 'requirements'.   (Fertilisation in crocus can be killed off by low temperatures in the 24 hours after pollination.)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #361 on: March 25, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »
I'm happy to put a page dedicated to Iris reticulata on my web site marksgardenplants. Like this
http://www.marksgardenplants.com/crocus%20tommasinianus.html but two images side by side about 500 pixels wide. All I need are your images.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
Tony,
i have many bees in my garden. Some plants ( for crossing ) are hand pollinating.
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
Tony, we already have seed set here on the reticulatas outside- too cold for bees on some of the days they were flowering this month- so i did the business myself.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #364 on: March 25, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
I'm happy to put a page dedicated to Iris reticulata on my web site marksgardenplants. Like this
http://www.marksgardenplants.com/crocus%20tommasinianus.html but two images side by side about 500 pixels wide. All I need are your images.

Mark, did you mean the collage the Hristo (Chris) put together?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #365 on: March 25, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
I have a picture from Goth bot garden of Iris reticulata that must be exactly the same as you showed Janis, with the name Iris reticulata subsp kurdica. (Collection number Batman 118)

That is a lovely iris, with the very strong and prominent signal stripe. I like the otherwise sombre colouring too, a super combo. (I didn't realise that Batman collected irises. ;D)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #366 on: March 25, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

Here is Iris zagrica with seed last year.

That is a beautiful sight :P
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Roma

« Reply #367 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
I get a few seeds on reticulata irises but do not hand pollinate.  I have 7 seedlings from 'Natascha' in their second year.  I also have a potful of seedlings from an unlabelled seedpod.  I think it was 'Katharine Hodgkin' as I recall being surprised to find it, but my memory could be deceiving me.  I will have to be patient till the seedlings flower.
Here is Iris 'Frank Elder' which I don't think has been shown here.  I like the colour much better than 'Katherine Hodgkin'
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #368 on: March 26, 2009, 04:45:16 AM »
Here is Iris 'Frank Elder' which I don't think has been shown here.  I like the colour much better than 'Katherine Hodgkin'
Roma, that's a lovely sight.
I got a bulb of this variety this year but it'll be a long while to get to match your flowering! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #369 on: March 26, 2009, 06:07:54 AM »
Interesting,
here you guys speak about bees and pollination to get seeds.

I always try to isolate my bulbs from bees, especially those, which are in very limited quantities to keep them safe from virus infections. For example, during crocus flowering season, they so heavily attack my plants that many's petal look distorted with lot of damages and cracks on petals. In my opinion bees transfer the virus through mechanical damages by their legs when taking the pollen. So for me it better not to get seeds than to have virused plants. Otherwise hand pollination is wise decision.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #370 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:03 AM »
Yes David, I would do it similar to Chris' version more like this but larger images
http://www.marksgardenplants.com/pratense-striatum11A.html
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #371 on: March 26, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Two new Irises named by me in BURIED TREASURES
Iris reticulata subsp. kurdica - feature which I didn't noted before - black anthers. In all other my reticulatas anthers are yellow or white
On other Iris pskemense - intermediate between kolpakowskiana and winkleri - by me most beautiful Central Asian reticulata.
Janis
Janis, is Buried Treasures book of yours?  Do you have a website?  Have not really grown the Reticulate Iris genera except in pots in UK in sunny spots!!!!!  I think the two in your photographs are absolute treasures and I agree that Iris pskemense is the most beautiful sight.....

Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #372 on: March 26, 2009, 08:11:44 AM »
Interesting,
here you guys speak about bees and pollination to get seeds.

I always try to isolate my bulbs from bees, especially those, which are in very limited quantities to keep them safe from virus infections. For example, during crocus flowering season, they so heavily attack my plants that many's petal look distorted with lot of damages and cracks on petals. In my opinion bees transfer the virus through mechanical damages by their legs when taking the pollen. So for me it better not to get seeds than to have virused plants. Otherwise hand pollination is wise decision.

Hello Zhirair,
interesting point you mention ::)
I do not like the bees around my plants to much (as I grow all outside I cannot avoid it) because of possible hybrids of near related species or forms which grow close together - in my opinion the only possibility to keep the species clean is to avoid the flowers are pollinated by insects and to pollinate them by hand.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #373 on: March 26, 2009, 08:36:10 AM »
Hello Hans,

Pleased to hear from you!
It's true, it's quite a hard work to isolate plants from bees when thy're grown outsite. That is why I plant the ones in very limited quantities under cold glass, and construct temporary small 'greenhouses' for the other valuable species and varieties in the garden only during flowering and remove the cover after they have finished blooming. It proves to be very helpful. During 15 years I've never observed any signs of virus among isolated plants, while the others in an open area can catch virus from year to year.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Kenneth K

« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:34 AM »
Lesley, Batman has lots of abilities, many yet unheard of!

Seriously - Batman is a river and a city in southeast Turkey.
Kenneth Karlsson, Göteborg, Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal