We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79149 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
Both these have finer petal parts than 'George' and are taller at bloom time. 'George' flowers earlier than the other two.

Ian, your 3 and 4 look pretty much like 'Harmony' which is ret x histrioides.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »
Does anyone else have problems growing Iris reticulata 'Kuh-e-Abr' or is it just me? I bought three bulbs in 2006, kept them outside and lost them; bought three more in 2007, kept them in the greenhouse and lost them; bought three more in 2008 and managed to get one flower-no sign at all of shoots from the other two.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »
Does anyone else have problems growing Iris reticulata 'Kuh-e-Abr' or is it just me? I bought three bulbs in 2006, kept them outside and lost them; bought three more in 2007, kept them in the greenhouse and lost them; bought three more in 2008 and managed to get one flower-no sign at all of shoots from the other two.
Where did you buy it from? Mine was from Rareplants. It seems to be bulking up well and set seed last year. Maybe mine isn't the real McCoy.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Simon, same supplier, maybe it's my fault I usually grow in 9cm rigid plastic pots so maybe it was too wet.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »
Ours have only ever been outside in a bulbframe seriously baked in summer- They were just coming up last week and when this ****** snow goes we should be able to photo them!
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Well, I am rather paranoid about virus, especially Iris virus but I am  seeing streaks  on the standards, David, so I'd guess that's why you are having problems..... :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:30 PM »
Well, I am rather paranoid about virus, especially Iris virus but I am  seeing streaks  on the standards, David, so I'd guess that's why you are having problems..... :P

Mmmmm!! I'm not sure Maggi. The light was particularly bright when I took the picture and reflected back from my background card made the standards appear almost transparent. I had a look at the plant again today, a dark and dank day, and it appeared a much darker shade of blue with no trace of veining showing. I will keep it (hopefully!) another year and see how it looks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:08 PM »
I managed to flower it three years in a row, but it's just leaves this year. I have posted pics in former years.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
Here are Iris reticulata 'Harmony' from the greenhouse, and I. reticulata 'Cantab' from my bulb bed.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
Cantab seems to have done well despite the lousy Summer David !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2009, 09:30:32 AM »
A monthy ago I posted a pic of Iris reticulata shoots some of which showed signs of virus.  Now the potful is in flower and all the plants have streaky flowers.  They are not living with the other irises any more and after I have chcked for seed set I will be burning them.

To lighten the mood I append a pic of a nice form of Iris reticulata from Armenia.  (Thanks Zhirair)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »
And finally for this year! (at least on the reticulate iris front!)
A week ago this pot of Iris histrio burst into flower.  I had hoped to take them to Harlow AGS show tomorrow but today they are going over :(

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2009, 09:37:20 AM »
Cantab seems to have done well despite the lousy Summer David !  :D

Yes Luc, it hasn't done badly at all. I noticed from my files I pictured it last year on 27 January 2008 so guess it chose to sleep on a while this year-don't blame it at all ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »
The Armenian Iris is a stunner Tony. Pity about you potential card winners you obviously didn't tell them when you wanted them to flower!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2009, 12:31:23 PM »
Tony,

Very pleased to see that our native iris reticulata form does well in your collection. This is more common form here in our region. During last years I also managed to find some rare colour varitions.The most valuable ones are clear white and white with slight blue overlay forms. I intend to multiply them to introduce in culture and share with other bulb enthusiasts.

And many thanks to you for photos of virused irises. You know anything related with virus is in the framework of my great interest.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal