We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79140 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
I am re-posting the pic below.  It appeared about 3 weeks ago as Iris reticulata from seed collected in Iran.  Belatedly examining the leaves I now note it has almost round eight ribbed leaves ....  So it must be the recently discussed Iris bakeriana  :o   :D  This may also help to settle the matter of the imposter I bakeriana(s) - I am now happy that I grow both pure I bakeriana and 'Clairette' a bakeriana hybrid.  Now I await the next flowering of Iris bakeriana seedlings in the hope that next year I will have 2 or more clones and can get seed to share around.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:35 AM »
And very beautiful it is Tony. The colour is as I remember my original bakeriana from 40+ years ago ??? but I'm sure it didn't have the orange signal stripe. These litle irises must vary quite a lot in the wild, not surprizing when their habitat area is so large, but every one is a lovely thing. Is it scented? Many forms are.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »
Mistery solved then Tony... and positively so !
I agree with Lesley - it's a wonderful form !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
Thanks Tony and David, just popped in from Galanthus corner to see what's happening in the real world!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
You still look a little pale Brian...  ;D ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2009, 10:12:40 AM »
So it must be the recently discussed Iris bakeriana  :o   :D  This may also help to settle the matter of the imposter I bakeriana(s) - I am now happy that I grow both pure I bakeriana and 'Clairette' a bakeriana hybrid. 

Comparison with Alan McMurtrie's form recently posted by David shows how extremely variable I. bakeriana must be. 
Then is an 8-sided leaf the key distinguishing characteristic for this 'species'? 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
Some reticulata iris cultivars and hybrids from the bulb frame. Also one which is from an unlabelled pip growing outside - post vole attack- we think it might be a sophensis x danfordiae hybrid but are not sure which one.
Iris 'Halkis', 'Bold and Beautiful', 'Palm Springs', 'Velvet Smile', sophensis hybrid and 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:37 PM »
Wow !  Very good start mr Sinchets !
Love the sophenensis hybrid !
(When do you plan to issue your first list ??  ;D )
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
Comparison with Alan McMurtrie's form recently posted by David shows how extremely variable I. bakeriana must be. 
Then is an 8-sided leaf the key distinguishing characteristic for this 'species'? 

Yes. If it has less that 8 but more than 4 it is a hybrid between bakeriana and reticulata - or vice versa. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
Thanks Lesley.  Frankly I'm amazed that Tony's and Alan's plants could be considered the same species :-\
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I think the question of Iris bakeriana (or not!) has some strong similarities with the plight of the Oozlum bird which was renowned for flying round in ever decreasing circles before finally disappearing up it's own orifice ;D

In Reply 178 on 13 February I posted a reply to my Email from Alan McMurtrie. In his reply Alan said "The bakerianas I know don't have a coloured ridge stripe"

In "Buried Treasures" Page 331 Janis says "..... it is not iris reticulata var. bakeriana (syn. I. bakeriana) which grows in Turkey and adjacent Iran and Iraq and is characterised by whitish claws, and whose flowers are blue and WITHOUT A YELLOW RIDGE ON THE FALLS"

In "The Iris" Brian Mathew suggests that there are forms (of bakeriana) in Iraq with a yellow ridge on the falls but Alan McMurtrie questions whether these are actually bakeriana at all.

Confusing ain't it?

My view, and God only knows I'm not really expert enough to have one, is that Tony has a very nice hybrid between Iris reticulata and Iris bakeriana which has taken it's leaf structure from the latter and it's ridge colour from the former.

Good job they don't have little green marks as well! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
After all that pontificating I forgot to congratulate our new friend Sinchets (do we really have to call you that?) on a lovely display of little Irises.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
Good job they don't have little green marks as well!
::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »
After all that pontificating I forgot to congratulate our new friend Sinchets (do we really have to call you that?) on a lovely display of little Irises.
Well Simon will do. Sinchets is the name for Scilla bifolia- or often anyother blue flowering spring plant.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:19 AM »
I think the question of Iris bakeriana (or not!)
Confusing ain't it?
.... a very nice hybrid between Iris reticulata and Iris bakeriana which has taken it's leaf structure from the latter and it's ridge colour from the former.
Possibly but this was from wild collected seed so hybridisation is less likely than if it was seed from cultivated plants.  We clearly have only a snapshot not the big picture.  I recently saw some images of Iris reticulata taken by Michael Kammerlander.  The variation in the flowers was incredible, even more so than that on Alan Macmurtie's site.  I don't think that flower colour/markings is the best way to tell the species apart.  The leaf structure seems less variable BUT I would give credence to the idea that we may be dealing with one very variable species - we just need to see more bits of the jigsaw ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal