We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79142 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »
David

My danfordiae have not shown yet - have not given up hope yet
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
David, Alan McMurtrie's Iris bakeriana is sumptuous. This and 'Clairette' are two I will make a note of.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
The deeper you plant I. danfordiae, the later it will come up. Will you still be offering 100GBP in a couple of weeks? ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
I have just been out and taken these two pictures of Iris danfordiae especially for David ;)
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »
David
Thanks for contacting Alan M. all very interesting and informative.  From the picture you posted of Iris bakeriana it is easy to see that Clairette has this as a parent.  Overall colour and falls markings are quite similar.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
Last year MB sent out something different as Iris bakeriana.  It looked a lot closer to the real thing!
This is last years pic but they're just opening now and have increased nicely.

Tony , your photo looks very much like I. ret. 'Clairette' which I have grown for decades ,
it is an old I. ret. x bakeriana cross, and has 6-8 ribbed leaves ., and also similar to
 the other cross I. ret. 'Springtime'   

Otto, I hope you still following this thread. Do you have a picture please of the Iris retic. 'Clairette' that you are growing?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
I have just been out and taken these two pictures of Iris danfordiae especially for David ;)

Thanks David. Are you, by any chance, offering £100 to anyone spotting Iris danfordiae in one of your pots? :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
Thanks from me David, for the lower picture at least. Mine (bought last year) looked like that last spring, 6 months ago. I tipped out the pots the other day thinking to plant them in the garden and found them there OK but inside each tunic were 5 or 6 tiny, thin slivers of bulb material. I don't expect any flowers this coming spring.

I bought 2 new packets of 5 each on Friday and of the 10 bulbs, only 1 wasn't already split in half. These are recently imported from Holland, where they have been held out of the ground since the northern summer, and they have virtually no substance at all. Not only that, they are all side bulbs, rounded one side, flattened on the other. Dead loss really, I should have had more sense.  >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2009, 09:06:47 AM »
Lesley, if you are refering to my post (one David too many, I know) then remember that this picture was taken at about 8.30 in the morning and that the pots have been under fleece in freezing temperatures for a week. I would hope, and expect, that with some warmer weather and sunshine they will open up properly. The danfordiae in the smaller pot are bulbs bought three years ago and regular flowerers.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »
Photos just in from Jim Kee in Delaware of his two forms of Iris histrio

first a clump, then a closeup of one from that clump, then thirdly, the second form......

click the pix to enlarge!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2009, 08:23:06 PM »
Wow :o 8) 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »
Yes it was your post David (S) but I wasn't referring to the fact they were closed up but that you had a good flowering at all, as I did last year but certainly won't this year.

Talking of fleece, I'll be able to show Forumists a new family member in a few days.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »
Somebody been at the sheep again Lesley? ::) ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »
I rescued this little Iris reticulata from my frame this morning whilst it was being subjected to a thorough seeing too from two bumble bees, and judging by the state of the flower it had been going on for some time. This is one I got from Dirk and I am not sure if he was simply noting that it was collected from Sewan Lake, or if he had named it as such.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »
Be patient Anthony :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal