We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79125 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »
Last year MB sent out something different as Iris bakeriana.  It looked a lot closer to the real thing!
This is last years pic but they're just opening now and have increased nicely.

Tony , your photo looks very much like I. ret. 'Clairette' which I have grown for decades ,
it is an old I. ret. x bakeriana cross, and has 6-8 ribbed leaves ., and also similar to
 the other cross I. ret. 'Springtime'   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:08:14 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2009, 04:30:47 PM »
Otto, Tony's bakeriana or Clairette doesn't look like my Clairette and I was assuired, last year, that my Clairette was not a 'ringer'. How does it compare with yours?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2009, 07:17:05 PM »
If the colouring of the top pic is true, I'd be pretty sure it's bakeriana with 8 sided leaves. 'Clairette' and 'Springtime' with me never have 8 sides, usually 6-7. I honestly can't tell these two apart unless thet're in flower at the same time, which they never are here.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
Unless it is a trick of the light, Tony's plant has different coloured falls
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
here is Iridodictyum kopetdaghensis .
I'm not sure it's a valid name but as Iris kopetdaghensis does allready exist (Juno ), it's difficult to get the same name for 2 different plants !
In fact, I think it should be considered as I. reticulata's form, from Kopet-Dag  ???
Just flowering now in the bulb frame.

Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »
Fred

A very nice Iris and exactly like mine - nice to have confirmation.  :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
It is indeed, very beautiful, but surely is (just) I. reticulata?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »
If the colouring of the top pic is true, I'd be pretty sure it's bakeriana with 8 sided leaves. 'Clairette' and 'Springtime' with me never have 8 sides, usually 6-7. I honestly can't tell these two apart unless thet're in flower at the same time, which they never are here.
The colour in the top picture is almost completely true.  I have checked the leaves and they are not exactly round but have 8 (ish - its difficult to tell with the hand lens which I cannot find :() ribs  ie the are not 4 ribbed square like Iris reticulata.
Mathew in Smaller Bulbs says "The form in cultivation  has whitish falls with a deep violet apex and conspicuous violet spots and blotches around the central ridge; the standards and style are bluish-lilac.  ...... nearly cylindrical leaf with 8 ribs; all its relatives have 4 ribbed square sectioned leaves."  He goes on to note variation in flower colour in wild populations in Iran.
I only doubt its validity because it was a real bargain at the price!!!!  Also I would like the real Clairette to compare with it.  I think you posted recently concurring with my idea that Clairette has bakeriana as a parent, so it might have 8 ribbed leaves.

David - sorry mate but you nice plant does not look to be the same thing.  Perhaps yours is indeed Clairette but the blue in yours is quite different, at least in the pic.  It would be nice to check the leaves but I gather it is too late :'(

Below is a close-up of the fall and the leaves of my putative Iris bakeriana.  You can see 4 ribs in a side view of the leaves.

Rix and Phillips show a different plant in 'Bulbs'.  I show it below.  They note that it is a "commercial stock sold under the name of Iris bakeriana."  It looks completely different but the leaves could well be right for I bakeriana.  Two pages earlier they illustrate Clairette which looks exactly like my plant but with shorter leaves at flowering.  Cannot see enough of the leaves to make a comparison.

On balance I think I have the plant that Rix and Phillips are calling Clairette :-\ :-\
The good thing is that it is beautiful, healthy and vigorous :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Here is Iris reticulata 'Halkis' named by Norman Stevens (Cambridge Bulbs) who collected the original from Mount Halkis, Turkey.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »
I have Iris kolpakowskiana out at the moment, but it got wrecked by meeces, so it's not worth the pic. :'(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »
This is one I like very much too David!
It has all the right proportions and colour combination.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »
Oh well, if you insist? ::) My mouse eaten Iris kolpakowskiana.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »
Oh well, if you insist? ::) My mouse eaten Iris kolpakowskiana.
Well, if I had a snake..... ::) ::)  ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
Well Anthony, it's ALMOST lovely. A fine, healthy Oxalis you have there too. Pity the meeces don't dig and eat THOSE bulbs. ???

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »
'Halkis' is a good one David. No foliage at bloom time?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal