We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79122 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »

Maggi thanks for posting the Links to Luit's posts. How did you do that??

I just copy and paste the link from the top of the browser page ( where the url of the page you are viewingis shown/where you would type a new www. address to go to another site) ....this is the link for THIS page
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=post;quote=73373;topic=2862.120;num_replies=134;sesc=2671238d306cca358589111c41a5dcbf

And this is the home page of the old Forum, for instance: http://www.srgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics     8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »
I think Luit's first mention  of the plant was in 2003, here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/443.html

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 6:58 pm:  pix there too
Wow Maggi, on Ian's picture from Monday 10th, I see no difference. Just the glasses... ;D ;D ;D :-*
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
Dirk is right, no way bakeriana. 'George' should be called I. histrioides (not reticulata) 'George' as the seed parent was histrioides ('Major' I think).

I'm interested in this "sport" think with I. reticulata forms. How does this happen from a bulb? Is it a case of one of the offset babies coming up and flowering as a diferent colour? Otherwise, how?
Lesley, I think those Iris hybrids with histrioides all propagate very fast. You are right with histrioides)!
Like Iris George, there was probably sometimes much demand for trade and the growers saved
every little grain to propagate and I believe sports will occur then more easy.
Strange enough both Iris George and Palm Springs are registered as I reticulata at KAVB.
But when I acquired Palm Springs in 2003 the breeder (finder) wrote I. histrioides on the label.

David, it is always possible that some of your bulbs will change back to George.
At least then you have the real George... ;D ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »
I think Luit's first mention  of the plant was in 2003, here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/443.html

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 6:58 pm:  pix there too
Wow Maggi, on Ian's picture from Monday 10th, I see no difference. Just the glasses... ;D ;D ;D :-*

I love you, Luit,  you are a real gentleman!  :-* So easy to see why you have such a good wife as Vroni!  8)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
Dirk is right, no way bakeriana. 'George' should be called I. histrioides (not reticulata) 'George' as the seed parent was histrioides ('Major' I think).

I'm interested in this "sport" think with I. reticulata forms. How does this happen from a bulb? Is it a case of one of the offset babies coming up and flowering as a diferent colour? Otherwise, how?
David, it is always possible that some of your bulbs will change back to George.

That would be buy one, get one free Luit, and I'm all for that.

Pic here of Maggi in 2003. You're right Luit, not a day over 25, then and now!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2009, 09:51:49 PM »

Well that's an interesting question in itself. If a sport sports, and is apparently the same as the original, is it the "true" plant? I know it can happen with sports in perennial plants such as carnations and Campanula. I assume that a sport is genetically identical to its source? Yet how can it be identical when colour, form etc are produced from different genes? I mean, how can a red flower be genetically the same as a blue flower when red and blue are made from different genes?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:54:13 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »
Didn't the chap standing next to Maggi used to be Sandy Leven? ;)

Edit by M.... Anthony, picture is BY ian, not OF Ian, if you read it!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:12:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2009, 10:06:55 PM »
That would be buy one, get one free Luit, and I'm all for that.

David I keep you on your word, even when you are a Yorkshireman ::) ::) ;D ;D
Do I maybe see you at the 2009 SRGC Discussion Weekend.
Note: It's a Weekend! Not on Wednesday .. ;D ;D ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »
David, occasionally I get glimpses of why you have the good fortune to have Maureen in your life! ;)

I get the hint from Luit's comments that he and Vroni will come to the 2009 Discussion Weekend  ??? .... that would be very good news indeed...... the more the merrier.... and the Nicholsons..... I think we might have a really big Forum Gathering!!  8)

In the big garden warehouse place today , B & Q, there were no snowdrops at all, but some little pots of un-named Iris reticulatas.... along with some Mucari and Narcissus, Anemone blanda and Tulips, ready to be planted out as "bedding".... so the label told me ..... this must be thelatest marketing ploy..... to catch those folks who did not buy their bulbs in Autumn.... quite good for the non-gardening gardener ( if you know what I mean) but a bit sad for us..... poor little bulbs, stuck in wee pots, no names, like sad orphans.. :'(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:22:32 PM by Maggi Young »

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
Maggi,
 there was some discussion of an extra day for Forumists.
Are there still any plans for that? Would make the decision a lot easier, going or not :-\
Still no Journal here in Holland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »
Maggi,
 there was some discussion of an extra day for Forumists.
Are there still any plans for that? Would make the decision a lot easier, going or not :-\
Still no Journal here in Holland.

Yes, Luit, there was discussion about that.....I cannot for the life of me remember now what was said, to choose 2009 or 2010???....I will ask Ian tomorrow when he wakes up!

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »
David,

No, not made them aware, as I say at that proce I tend to chalk it up to experience! I also had some last year which I lost, they never really go going but this years seem very vigorous and are flowering wonderfully just now (whatever they are).

Alex

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »

I've said it before and I need to say it again. Crawler!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »

I've said it before and I need to say it again. Crawler!

I know! ;D

I seem to think that Ian mentioned 2010 for a possible Forumist gathering at the Discussion Weekend?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
I seem to think that Ian mentioned 2010 for a possible Forumist gathering at the Discussion Weekend?

Can't wait   ;)
but the trouble is, Maggi will have to find a very LARGE font and announce that its 605 days to go  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:03:32 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal