We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79132 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
Nice David well done
Any chance to see both plants in one shot? To see the colour differences better. Both looks great even if they sometime not live up to our high expectations who but has not sometime failed to live up the expectations.

All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2009, 02:56:35 PM »
David - my I. r. 'George' was in bud, so I took it to draw and paint to our art group last Thursday, thought I'd do a couple of buds then wait for it to open to do some flowers too.  I didn't have to wait long, the flowers opened before our very eyes, it wowed the art group, they were mesmerised by it.  My George is a deep plum colour, nothing like the colour in the photo you posted.  Here it is for comparison.  Mine was purchased from Bob Potterton at the iris day held by the AGS.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »
David,

your second Iris is never bakeriana, it is possibly I.histrioides or a cultivar from I.reticulata.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:26:00 PM by udo »
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
Here's a couple that have spent the night in an un-heated bedroom (not ours!) to persuade them to open.

Iris reticulata 'Palm Spring' from Paul Christian's catalogue last year. In the catalogue he says "A new hybrid bred from Iris reticulata 'George'. Vibrant very rich, blue and deep indigo flowers with deeper falls intensying further around a lovely canary yellow crest with the finest flick of white......" Not a bad description really but my camera enhances the blue rather than indigo. Nice though.

David, Iris Palm Springs is a sport of George and by no means a hybrid.
It is registered as Palm Springs
It occurred about at the same time with two growers.
I saw it here first time with the raiser of George and he told me what happened.
He wanted to give it a name but then it was already registered.
They were shown Monday in Lisse as Palm Spring and we (hm) the Committtee complained
that the name was wrong. So now we know where P.C. has acquired his bulbs.
I showed already pics. in the old Forum in ? 2003 in Flowering now, when I just joined the Forum for the first time.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks for that Luit, later this evening I will search the Old Forum and try to find your post.

So you see Chris all kinds of differences can be shown in a sport.

Dirk, many thanks for confirming my suspicions on my 'alleged' Iris reticulata var. bakeriana. I am pretty certain that Alex also mentioned the same problem with his bulbs from the same supplier but I can't find the post.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »
David, my Miniature Bulbs "bakeriana" is something else as well - leaves also 4 ribbed. At that price, I suppose you can't complain!

Alex

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2009, 07:54:17 PM »
Dirk is right, no way bakeriana. 'George' should be called I. histrioides (not reticulata) 'George' as the seed parent was histrioides ('Major' I think).

I'm interested in this "sport" thing with I. reticulata forms. How does this happen from a bulb? Is it a case of one of the offset babies coming up and flowering as a diferent colour? Otherwise, how?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:55:44 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2009, 08:01:36 PM »
David, my Miniature Bulbs "bakeriana" is something else as well - leaves also 4 ribbed. At that price, I suppose you can't complain!

Alex

Yes Alex, so are mine. Did you make MB aware?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
You are quite right, Lesley, my bulbs are labelled I. h. 'George', mea culpa.  But is the colour correct for the one I've shown?  I realise that sports can bring forth new shades etc, but mine is a real red wine colour and having seen David's its very very different.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
Luit, is this the post you meant? February 10 2004.

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 6:16 pm:       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last year one of my first messages to the Forum was about a picture of Iris George by Sandy.
I was able to acquire some bulbs of the blue sport of Iris George. Iris Palm Springs now
started flowering in the glasshouse (outside the flowers become bigger)

I am afraid I have to remove one bulb out of the pot because it is sporting back to George

Later edit. I did a copy and paste on the above, including the pics that Luit posted but the pics didn't come out. Sorry!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:23:31 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
Yours is absolutely right for 'George' Chris. Rich plummy colour and very like histrioides in shape and size, with leaves just above the pot/ground surface at flowering.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/1503.html    will take you to Luit's pix!

Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 6:16 pm: as David quoted.       
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »
I think Luit's first mention  of the plant was in 2003, here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/283/443.html

Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 6:58 pm:  pix there too
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
Last year MB sent out something different as Iris bakeriana.  It looked a lot closer to the real thing!
This is last years pic but they're just opening now and have increased nicely.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
.... and eight ribbed leaves too Tony? I had some from MB last year and lost them-such is life.

Maggi thanks for posting the Links to Luit's posts. How did you do that??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal