We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79118 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2009, 09:51:52 PM »
Exquisite Iranian Iris.... Herr Zschummel knows a good plant when he sees one..... seed from that source is always a gem, eh?

Maggi

Seed is generally collected without seeing the flower - so an even greater pleasure when you get one as nice as Tony's
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

art600

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Arthur, I hope you're looking at the "YES!!! The "I'm so happy" thread :)

Lesley

It is one I look at  ;)
Arthur Nicholls

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2009, 10:38:49 PM »
Exquisite Iranian Iris.... Herr Zschummel knows a good plant when he sees one..... seed from that source is always a gem, eh?

Maggi

Seed is generally collected without seeing the flower - so an even greater pleasure when you get one as nice as Tony's

Well, of course,few plants are in flower and fruit at the same time... which means it is a clever collector who chooses the best plant!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:08 PM »
Lovely retic. Tony, what's your seed sowing regime please?  Pity about the Iris hyrcana though, was it from a company who have remained nameless??
I sow almost everthing as soon as I get it,either my own when ripe or others, in John Innes with extra grit and covered with grit. They just stand outside until they germinate or not.I look at them most days to see if I have any germination.Once they have germinated they usually get taken inside and be given tlc. However in this case i was given rice grain bulbils so it was love and attention from the start
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:43 PM »
Alternative one visit the plants in flower and do the choices or even pollination to collect the seeds later.
Maybe not always possible but maybe sometimes?
This regarding nice plants from seeds and the selection of them.

All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »
The really clever people find a wonderful form in flower and it has one of last years seed pods still attached !
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
The really clever people find a wonderful form in flower and it has one of last years seed pods still attached !

;D 

Great pics of all! 
Tony G - this plant of Mr Zschummel origin is great :D - Should really try to grow more of this section... ;D

Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
One from me :

1) Iris histrioides major - opening up yesterday
2) same - fully unfurled today

In reality a bit darker than my pictures show  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
Very nice Luc, I knew they would come eventually. Snow forecast for us in the early part of next week, you may get some too :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »
Very nice Luc, I knew they would come eventually. Snow forecast for us in the early part of next week, you may get some too :(

This one's inside David - and it's very fortunate - -4to -6 last night and the same forecasted for tonight again... and yes... snow anounced for next Monday...  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:17:29 PM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
Luc,
a good start. Garden ground here is still frozen - but many noses visible... :P
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
From the greenhouse today Iris histrioides Lady Beatrix Stanley. The greenhouse thermometer was showing a lowest temperature of exactly freezing point but, in-spite of, at the moment, a sunny clear blue sky the wind is freezing cold and the soil in the garden is rock hard. Soon beat the retreat back into the warm.

I've been trying to grow LBS for the last three years with complete failure, so my one bulb will be cosseted in the greenhouse for some time.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »
What no snow  :o :o :o
Arthur Nicholls

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
She's a very nice Lady David !!  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2009, 01:44:33 PM »
Here's a couple that have spent the night in an un-heated bedroom (not ours!) to persuade them to open.

Iris reticulata 'Palm Spring' from Paul Christian's catalogue last year. In the catalogue he says "A new hybrid bred from Iris reticulata 'George'. Vibrant very rich, blue and deep indigo flowers with deeper falls intensying further around a lovely canary yellow crest with the finest flick of white......" Not a bad description really but my camera enhances the blue rather than indigo. Nice though.

The second is Iris reticulata var. bakeriana, maybe! from Miniature Bulbs last catalogue. In 'Buried Treasures' Janis says  "........ and is characterised by whitish claws, and whose flowers are blue without a yellow ridge on the falls. The leaves of var. bakeriana have eight ribs in a section, but Iris reticulata typically has four ribbed leaves.....". Mine has a thin yellow crest, and though there is not a lot of leaf at the moment it strikes me as being four ribbed. Ah well, it's another pretty one and maybe this is Dutch raised stock and has got mixed up over the years.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal