We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79131 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2009, 04:27:14 PM »
Yes Luit, I agree that both are possibilities but think it's hard to say for sure, given the effect of light angle on colour reproduction.  Your pic of Pixie (http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1331.msg34197;topicseen#msg34197 reply 61) seems less purple than my plant (pic 3), while the falls of Jeannine (http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1331.msg32273;topicseen#msg32273 reply 42) look darker than mine. 

But what is certain is that your record of the Connoisseur Collection is a great resource for us all 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2009, 07:03:59 PM »
Nice plants David, and I like your 'studio' setting for clear pictures without background distraction 8)

If the colour of your 'Harmony' picture is true then it more-or-less matches my 'unknown seedling' (above) but certainly not the 'Not JS Dijt' ;) which is a much deeper blue-purple (best shown in my pic 3).  So any other ideas about what this might be?

Learning from Ian, Ashley. Ian uses a light grey sheet, others use a piece of card. I started off using a piece of card but it kept getting wet (and I dropped it a couple of times!) and then moved on to a piece of art board (a light wooden frame covered by some kind of material) used by watercolour and oil painters, and gave it three coats of light grey emulsion paint. It's much more stable, and washable.

My Harmony is fairly true to colour I would say.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
Art and Tony, those are lovely plants.  Where in Iran was the seed  collected?

Only cultivars here I'm afraid:

Ashley

I regret to say I did not make a note, or the details have been lost.  Somewhere in the NW corner for sure.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »
Somewhere in the NW corner for sure.

;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I was thinking that my Iris reticulats in my bulb bed were not going to appear this year. Well, I was wrong. I was also wrong about  'Clairette' having disappeared altogether, she's on her way.

Iris histrioides 'Angel Tears' I had five flowers last year so I've lost a couple.
One from the greenhouse-Iris reticulata 'Alida'.
Iris reticulata 'Gordon' the remains from a batch of ten last year.
Iris reticulata 'J S Dijt'-was also a batch of ten last year.
Iris histrioides 'Katharine Hodgkin'. I remember Maggi telling me that KH is as tough as old boots, and so she has proved to be, again a batch of ten last year.
And finally, given a spot of good weather here is where iris reticulata 'Clairette' will be in a couple of weeks time.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 08:14:46 PM »
........ and here is iris histrioides 'Katharine Hodgkin' that I missed out in the post above. Twice as a matter of fact! ;D

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 08:37:33 PM »
So not that bad after all David !  I see 9 emerging J.S. Dijt !
Despite your bad weather you're quite ahead of mine !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
Luc, although we have had cold spells (and more frost this year than in the 20 other years we have been in Devon) I think you have had it much colder than us. My problem has been rain, and particularly so last Summer.  Your time will come though.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 08:48:29 PM »
One for Arthur - a seedling of mine that is vaguely similar to his mystery Iris .....
This one came from Iran as seed through the AGS exchange.  Collected by D Zschummel.
It is a beauty and so far virus free.

SOooo I will be keeping it away from the next offering which has 2 plants destined for the bin.

Ammended much later - the Iranian Iris is I bakeriana - it has 8 ribbed almost rounded leaves, a diagnostic feature for Iris bakeriana

Also the virused Iris have opened with perfect flowers while the apparently OK ones in the same pot have streaky flowers >:(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:00:48 PM by tonyg »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
Lovely retic. Tony, what's your seed sowing regime please?  Pity about the Iris hyrcana though, was it from a company who have remained nameless??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2009, 09:00:13 PM »
Exquisite Iranian Iris.... Herr Zschummel knows a good plant when he sees one..... seed from that source is always a gem, eh?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2009, 09:02:10 PM »
Seed is sown when it arrives.  Cold frame, no heat, standard free draining bulb compost.  Wait .... same as all my bulbous seed really.

The iris was from a friend 2 years ago so the problem might be mine.  However as this probably originated in the trade on the continent it could be the same stock that you might buy from anyone who imports bulbs.  I think there are two healthy bulbs, I hope so anyway, so perhaps it is my problem.  As with crocus I am having a no tolerance policy with anything which looks dodgy.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
Thanks Tony.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
That one is lovely Tony and quite different with the soft lavender colouring. Keep it close!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »
Arthur, I hope you're looking at the "YES!!! The "I'm so happy" thread :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:41:38 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal