We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 78723 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
Having just reviewed the old forum to look at Kuh-e Abr, I can see that this is not my Iris - the falls are blue, whereas mine are plum?

Arthur, yours is nothing like Kuh-e-Abr, which has sort of sky blue petals of quite a different shape

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
Looks like bakeriana. Mine will be out soon for comparison.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
Looks like bakeriana. Mine will be out soon for comparison.

Does your bakeriana have a round stem or the more typical reticulate 4 sided stem?  Mine is not round.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
Arthur maybe this is of help. Looking at the old Forum I found this picture
of Andrew:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/discus/messages/139/24790.html

Here is a picture of I. bakeriana cultivated in Holland.

It would be easier if these pages are under the same line as the other I. reticulata.
When I came back after searching around in my pictures I could not find the site under Iris, but found it under Bulbs General. ????
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »
I don't think it's remotely connected to I. bakeriana. To me is says a wild, collected form of reticulata. Perhaps Janis - when he's finished his glass of wine - is the person most likely to identify correctly, or just call it a most attractive form of I. reticulata. The leaves being taller than the flowers at bloom time suggests this too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
The flowers in Arthur's picture are much paler that I. bakeriana and Arthur states that it is not a garden variety. Arthur, you do a lot of travelling, is this some seed that you have collected yourself in the wild? Whatever, you could just name it 'I. desirable'!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:08:21 PM by Maggi Young »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 10:28:25 PM »
I think it is almost entirely unlike 'Clairette'!!    ;D ;D ;D
OK OK I take it back .... although I read somewhere that Clairette may have I bakeriana genes in it.  There are some very different pictures on the web purporting to be Clairette!

Here (trying to help :-\) is a pic of Iris bakeriana as supplied by Miniature Bulbs  ... it does look quite like a plant I grew under the name 'Clairette' a long time ago - honest! 

Art - your plant looks like a wild form of I reticulata that I saw at Brian Mathews on a CG visit, again a while ago, so long that I dont have a digital pic to share, only a slide.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 10:42:42 PM »
Here is a picture of Iris ret. Clairette in the Connoisseur Collection, which should be the right one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:09:16 PM by Maggi Young »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »
'Clairette' is bakeriana x reticulata (in that order, I think, not VV). It is bluer that Tony's pic but not so blue as in Luit's. In between.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 11:10:56 PM »
It would be easier if these pages are under the same line as the other I. reticulata.
When I came back after searching around in my pictures I could not find the site under Iris, but found it under Bulbs General. ?

So it would, Luit..... I hadn't noticed which section it was in.... I will move it now.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 11:21:31 PM »
Thank you Maggi.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 11:38:03 PM »
Diane

Where did you acquire your Kuh-e Abr?  It looks a good doer and I would like some in my front scree, where others flourish.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Diane

Where did you acquire your Kuh-e Abr?  It looks a good doer and I would like some in my front scree, where others flourish.
Rareplants.co.uk
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

winwen

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
Hello,

art600, your Iris reminds me strongly of a reticulata-iris, that was previously shown by Dirk Schnabel (alias udo) in another Reticulata-thread here in the forum: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1194.210
I also think that it is the same species (or variety or whatsoever) as previously shown by Alan McMurtrie on his website under name Iris "Ameona" from Iran (see http://www.reticulatas.com/HTML%20Pages/species-2.html). Moreover Janis Ruksans shows a very similar looking Reticulata Iris in his Book "Buried Treasures" on plate 271, stating that it was found by Arnis Seisums in Iran.
Where does your Iris come from? I would not be surprised, if it came from Iran (Northwestern Iran, to be precisely: somewhere in the Zagros Mountains)
Since I am also interested in this fantastic looking gem, is there a chance to get seeds from you?

Kind Regards
Erwin

BTW: Janis Ruksans calls it "Iris reticulata var. kurdica"
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 09:41:42 AM »
I also think that it is the same species (or variety or whatsoever) as previously shown by Alan McMurtrie on his website under name Iris "Ameona" from Iran
Erwin, I did see this picture too, but the falls(?) are much darker as in Arthur's picture.
The picture in the book looks more the same, but in Arthur's picture there is more blue in the falls.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal