We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79103 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
Please forgive me for tagging a question in to this thread

Is Iris unguicularis cretensis easy to flower? I was looking for any sign of buds on mine today but there was nothing to see

I think most of the unguicularies type Irises are a bit 'miffy' in the flowering department Mark. Does yours get plenty of sun in the Summer, because that helps enormously? A sprinkling of dolomite lime around the plant might help also. Failing all that if it doesn't flower next year I can recommend Iris lazica, it's similar and much easier to flower.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
Not so easy to rig something for that, David, but perhaps an adaptation of the polycarbonate covers Ian uses (over his stock bed plunge of Erythronium - while the're in flower to help pollination) would be workable? Doesn't need to be so high for your prupose, I reckon....

(Attachment Link)

Good idea that. How are the legs fixed to the polycarbon sheet, drilled and screwed through? Is it just an optical illusion that makes the cover look as though it is pitched (ie like a house roof) or is it just a flat sheet?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
I think most of the unguicularies type Irises are a bit 'miffy' in the flowering department Mark.
A good sunny spot in the summer and starvation works wonders. They flower better when clumped up and the roots are congested.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009, 07:16:46 PM »
Good idea that. How are the legs fixed to the polycarbon sheet, drilled and screwed through? Is it just an optical illusion that makes the cover look as though it is pitched (ie like a house roof) or is it just a flat sheet?

There is just a slight tilt to the west, to allow for run-off out of the plunge area. Polycarbonate sheeting ( offcuts from local conservatory supplier) are attached, in this instance, with threaded screw fixings with plastic "handles" that look like bow-ties ...through metal support and into washer and nut on top
Here is a section of the pic to show...

Will get Ian to find me some better pix and I may  be able to explain a bit more ....we have other systems for covering regularly shaped raised beds, too, which might be of interest..... not sure if Ian's had those in the BulbLog or not  ???
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:26:01 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
Thanks Maggi, I haven't seen them in the BulbLog, or at least I can't remember seeing them and I've read 'em all. Ian seems to have 'scrounging' bits and pieces off to a fine art ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
David, Ian is a master of primary recycling!  8) :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
here is a better photo of the cover which I suggest may be of use to David to cover his iris to protect against summer wet....
100194-0

and a better closeup of the wing-nut type fixings.....
100196-1

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:55 PM »
Michael and David's advice is good Mark. CRETE, remember? so lots of sunshine thought the year if possible and a good summer ripening. Wouldn't hurt to pull away dead leaves either to expose the rhizomes to sun. And some dolomite or lime. HAving said all that, it's not what I'd call FREE flowering but very nice and I'd certainly not discard it for lazica or any other, rather, add the other.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2009, 10:21:58 AM »
here is a better photo of the cover which I suggest may be of use to David to cover his iris to protect against summer wet....
(Attachment Link)

and a better closeup of the wing-nut type fixings.....
(Attachment Link)

Many thanks Maggi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
At the risk of controversy, 'miffy' irises (unguicularis or other) may be sick irises.  I have lost some I unguicularis to virus in the past.  No coincidence then that my best ever flowering clump was one raised from seed .... it has since declined.  So(w) its back to the standard answer for miffy plants - keep raising new ones from seed.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of Iris histrioides var. sophenensis, a pretty little thing that came from Dirk. The stem hasn't elongated much and as this was grown under the cover of my plastic frame I may have kept it a little too dry.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »
That is delightful David and yes, perhaps it was a little dry or it maybe just that it's a first effort in its new home. It looks very healthy. Incidentally, these little irises generally don't have a stem as such. The "apparent" stem is actually a slim tube. This is attached to what may eventually become the capsule full (we hope) of seeds and this capsule (ovary) has a tiny stem coming directly from the bulb.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 08:16:18 PM »
Thanks Lesley.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
Very nice little chap David !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of Iris histrioides var. sophenensis, a pretty little thing that came from Dirk. The stem hasn't elongated much and as this was grown under the cover of my plastic frame I may have kept it a little too dry.

David,

i become a new information to this Iris.
It is a unusual form from Iris reticulata,
not a Iris histrioides var.sophenensis.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:23:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal