We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 79077 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #450 on: December 01, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
Is it possible that some descriptions of plants found in a distant location are not really representive of the variation found at the site, bit more a description of an atypical plant that stood out from the crowd?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #451 on: December 01, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »
Janis Iris kolpakowskiana almaatensis is a very desireable Iris.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #452 on: December 01, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »
Is it possible that some descriptions of plants found in a distant location are not really representive of the variation found at the site, bit more a description of an atypical plant that stood out from the crowd?

The cynic in me would say that this is more a probability than a possibility, Simon!  :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #453 on: December 01, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »

It more looks as some mistake labeling herbarium sheet used for description of species.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #454 on: December 01, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
Iris bakeriana.  Ridiculously early, flowering for the 2nd time in 2009.  I always worry that these odd precocious flowers are a sign of ill health.  However as several other reticlate iris have noses showing it may be just a strange year.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #455 on: December 01, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »
I was clearing things in the garden today and noticed lots of reticulata types poking up through the earth.  I suspect most are I. 'Katherine Hodgkins', judging from their robust size.  They are not alone, as quite a few Narcissus are poking through as well.  We did have a cold spell some 4 weeks ago with frosts, but the last weeks have been mild and wet.  This week will most likely did below the freezing point nights, so lets hope we don't experience frost kill.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #456 on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:27 PM »
Your information about the forms of I. kolpakowskiana is very interesting Janis and with the pictures as well, says clearly what the different plants are like. Unfortunately it's a situation not likely to bother me as we don't have any of these gorgeous irises here, at all but it is a great thrill to see yours and perhaps to dream a little. :) The little seed I've had from various sources has never germinated.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #457 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:32 AM »
Janis,

Striking pics.  Great colour combinations and markings.

Also, thanks for the confirmation re the virus on my x winowgradowii.  I'll find somewhere out of the way to keep it I think, as I will try to get seed on it or pollen from it to keep the genetics.  Such a shame to receive it virused.  :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #458 on: December 02, 2009, 06:33:58 AM »
Your information about the forms of I. kolpakowskiana is very interesting Janis and with the pictures as well, says clearly what the different plants are like. Unfortunately it's a situation not likely to bother me as we don't have any of these gorgeous irises here, at all but it is a great thrill to see yours and perhaps to dream a little. :) The little seed I've had from various sources has never germinated.
Iris seeds must be sawn immediately after harvesting (during 1 week). Problematic with seed exchange and opposite hemisphere. Elder seeds must be soaked for 24 hours in room temperature water, can be added a little solution of KMnO-4 (potash permanganate) to light pink color. After that with sharp sterilized knife cut off small peace of seed covering sheet opening minor spot of inner white endospermus and then saw seeds. As seeds are not fresh - do it when autumn starts for seeds would be in moist cool conditions or keep pots in freezer at +4 C. Germination greatly improves.
Janis

Lars S

« Reply #459 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »
Janis,

Very interesting stuff 

Does it matter where on the seed that you make the cut ?

I have actually had almost 100 % germination of some seeds that I got as Juno sp. from Kirgizstan (unknown source). Maybe they were fresh ...
Unfortunately the germination took place just a few weeks ago and now it´s getting cold  :(
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #460 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
Janis,

Very interesting stuff 

Does it matter where on the seed that you make the cut ?

I have actually had almost 100 % germination of some seeds that I got as Juno sp. from Kirghistan (unknown source). Maybe they were fresh ...
Unfortunately the germination took place just a few weeks ago and now it's getting cold  :(

By literature it is important where to make cut, it is spot where shoot must to come out, but my eyes isn't so good, so I'm cutting just on opposite, for not to damage shoot. And it works, too but is safer.
For Juno sowing of fresh seed is very important, too. Really for all Irises. By Dr. G. Rodionenko - old Iris seeds started to germinate 15(!) years after sawing. With me some Irises germinated this autumn, too - never before recorded. I'm doubtful about alive during winter. Pity, as germination is excellent.
Janis

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #461 on: December 02, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
I've had good results with junos, cutting off a little of the seed coat. I didn't soak them though and will try that next time for reticulata irises. Potash permanganate = Condy's chrystals?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #462 on: December 02, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
Now I think about it, I DID soak the seeds before cutting the coat or I wouldn't have been able to do it I should imagine. I didn't use any chemical in the water though.

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2009, 06:53:43 AM »
I've had good results with junos, cutting off a little of the seed coat. I didn't soak them though and will try that next time for reticulata irises. Potash permanganate = Condy's chrystals?

I don't know what is Condy's chrystals. Potash permanganate is used for disinfection and buyable in pharmacy, few grains colors water lilac. Chemical formula is KMnO4. Really I don't know how important it is, Latvian gardeners use it. Of course it is cheap and didn't damage if you are not using dark violet solution of high percentage.
Janis

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #464 on: December 03, 2009, 07:38:22 PM »
Reference to an old school book reminds me that what I now know as Condy's chrystals is actually Potassium permanganate, so I guess that's what you use Janis.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal