We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lagodechianus and rizehensis  (Read 6112 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
lagodechianus and rizehensis
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:39:09 PM »
I wonder if any forumists bloom these two species in pots, troughs or in the ground.  Here the bulbs stay tiny and multiply like mad but do not flower. Then G. rizehensis  mysteriously de-materialized one summer without a trace. I wonder how to flower them.

johnw
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:40:11 PM by Maggi Young »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: lagodechianus and rizehensis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »
I grow both these species in clay pots plunged in sand and both flower well.

The lagodechianus is still a single bulb after many years but the rhizhensis multipies well and seesm to have set seed this year as well
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:25:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:16:15 PM »
I grow my G. rizehensis (note spelling) in the ground where they are about to flower
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:25:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 12:38:26 AM »
I grow both in the ground. The lagodechianus grows like a weed, but rizehensis less so. Both flower well. I have seedlings of the latter in pots.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 08:54:19 AM »
I grow my G. rizehensis (note spelling) in the ground where they are about to flower

Not to be pedantic but if every typing error is to be picked up on should there not be a comma after the word ground.In my post I also seem to have missed out an 'l' in multiplies amongst several other mistakes.Ah well to much Christmas alcohol

I am however now going to try some outdoors after other peoples success.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:26:07 PM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:51:41 AM »
I have a small group in a pot but they never do well. This year there is only one flower out of 6 bulbs so the plan is to plant them with the rest
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
both grow like weeds planted in theground , G. rizehensis flowers prolificly ,
 but G. lagodechianus is rather shyflowering.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »

Not to be pedantic but if every typing error is to be picked up on should there not be a comma after the word ground.In my post I also seem to have missed out an 'l' in multiplies amongst several other mistakes. Ah well to much Christmas alcohol

I am guilty of both 'crimes' - making spelling mistakes and tut-tutting at them. If I remember, I spell check before submitting. It may not correct species names, but at least it highlights them. The problem is, I then have to reach for a book to check it. That can be a real pain (oo, my neck), because I have to turn through 180o and reach out to the shelf behind me. Often I don't spot an error until I re-read the post or see it in a quote from a fellow reader. I don't think biting one's tongue, as much as one's index finger has to be applied, afterall posts are often made in a hurry and in my case, to misquote Eric Morecambe, "the letters are (often?) all correct, they are just not in the correct order". I do think it valid to correct the spelling of scientific names, as often a mistake becomes part of literature.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:25:05 PM by Maggi Young »

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 12:13:33 PM »
I think it IS helpful to have the "correct" spelling of plant names ..... look at the bother arising from those which already "suffer" from differing spellings ( such as the Cyclamen cilicicum/Cyclamen cilicium problem highlighted in another thread, where both forms are used by supposed experts in printed literature) ..... some of us need all the help we can get....... for instance,I am both dyslexic and a lousy typist with a keyboard with half the letters worn off.....boy, do I need help!  :-[
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 12:15:52 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
.......if only I'd been taught to type properly at some point!

At school I took a sixth year course in 'typing for beginners' to fill in my timetable at school (none of this free time the senior kids have now) and managed to get up to 70 mistakes a minute! :) Some of the problems arise with Microsoft Word®. It corrects spelling of certain words, highlights others, adds capital letters and even suggests changes to punctuation and grammar. When I was in P7 I had to write each sentence for an essay on a piece of rough paper and have it checked by Mr Pratt my teacher, before I included it in the finished work. :-[ I also remember in my Junior 1 class at Mountfields primary in Loughborough a classmate (who is now a lecturer at the University of Stirling) had to stay behind to dot all the 'is' and cross all the 'ts' in a composition he had written. :-\ Me, I had spent a traumatic time that afternoon trying to think of the plural for sheep! ::)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
At school I took a sixth year course in 'typing for beginners' to fill in my timetable at school

At my school the only typewriter in the building was in the School Secretary's office. Ironically, that person, a model of cheery efficiencyin typing, as in all other matters and who later became a dear friend, had only one arm.

I think Ian is perhaps overly optimistic if he thinks that typing lessons could really be much help to a dyslexic  ::) You can't fault him for his positive attitude, though, eh?  :D

As for the G. lagodechianus and  G. rizehensis  ---I  am slowly learning not to attempt to grow anything I cannot spell
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 12:46:50 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »
As for the G. lagodechianus and  G. rizehensis  ---I  am slowly learning not to attempt to grow anything I cannot spell

Oh dear Maggi, if I did that I would have to grub out half the garden!  ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
Its clearly  cold and not gardening weather for this to be a discussion occupying so much time.

I did not correct the spelling of rizahensis in my original post because
a) I was slightly the worse for wear.
b)I was trying to be polite.
c)As I have tried to say before we are not all experts ans as Ian says even they get it wrong

It occurs to me that if say at a flower show you were introduced to a perfect stranger most but not all of us would not in conversation say for instance 'the way you pronounce the plant names is awful' but at times no such inhibitions seem to exist on various forums with regard to errors in spelling or matters of detail.

It is after all supposed to be enjoyable (sorry for using that word as I know for some it is a matter of life and death)

I have drunk tea in Rize which is hot and humid and certainly has no snowdrops growing along its corniche.

I cannot understand why rizehensis is spelt differently in the posting headers see reply 8. I thought the heading was fixed

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
Heading is fixed unless I change it, Tony! It is tricky, though, to change all without quite a lot of tweaking and, to be honest, I'm not sure why some of the posts here are one way and some another...I  will go now and change them all.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: lagodechianus and rizehensis- a digression
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »
Hmm, no, that isn't entirely correct..... Main topic heading is fixed, unless a moderator tweaks it, but the heading is able to be altered. amended as each person makes a post, though too much of THAT would confuse us further, methinks !

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal