We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A Rhodophiala question  (Read 5808 times)

George-Oz

Re: A Rhodophiala question
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 02:25:36 AM »

Lovely flower Heinie.

The Basin, Victoria, Australia

"I want to die like my grandfather, in his sleep; not screaming and kicking like the passengers in his car"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »
We've had rain overnight, so I'll be waiting to see if the Rhodophiala start into flower now.  Not sure we've had a hot enough summer this year?  I guess we'll find out.  I haven't checked this morning, so maybe there are already some coming up.  It always amazes me just how quickly they trigger after rain at the right time of year.  They're such brilliant flowers.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Heinie

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 06:33:02 AM »
We have 3 flowers open this morning.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:54 AM »
I've checked my pots and one pot (a red that produces 1 or 2 flowers per stem) has 4 flower stems that appeared this morning, plus another pot (a pink with up to 8 flowers per stem) has a single stem appearing at present.  Also of note is 2 stems appearing on Lycoris elsae, which flowered for the first time for me last year with a single stem.  It will be interesting to see what other flowers are triggered by this rain.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

George-Oz

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »

Very striking colour Heinie...  beautiful

Paul, where can I buy some in Oz? I have been asking around, but people don't grow them anymore. Petty...

I checked my Lycoris yesterday to see if it was still alive. No movements yet, but the bulbs are still firm and it had roots coming out of the bottom.
The Basin, Victoria, Australia

"I want to die like my grandfather, in his sleep; not screaming and kicking like the passengers in his car"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
George,

I can at the very least send you some of my red one that produces 1 or 2 flowers per stem.  It multiplies well for me.  I'll have to check on the pink one though.  I have a few others, either from seed or single purchased bulbs.  No idea how they are going multiplication-wise.  The beauty of the Rhodophiala is that I find they flower then the leaves don't appear immediately, so I should be able to send you a bulb soon.  If you can send me your address via email (don't put it here in public) I'll send you some when ready.

None of my other Lycoris are showing anything as yet, but I rarely get most of them to flower.  The L. elsae is because I put it in the ground (or a raised garden anyway), and I've put a couple more species into the ground as well to see what the results are.  If not flowering, I don't expect to see them for a while yet.  Which species do you grow?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal