We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hellebore black death?  (Read 426 times)

arisaema

Hellebore black death?
« on: March 01, 2024, 09:30:45 AM »
These came with the house, but aren't looking too healthy... I'm tempted to dig and throw, but is it just frost damage or does this look like a disease - fungal or bacterial?

Carolyn

Re: Hellebore black death?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 06:20:43 PM »
It looks to me like hellebore leaf spot. I find that certain hellebores in my garden tend to get this, while other nearby plants are totally healthy. I remove and burn anything blackened. The problem seems worse in wet years. I always promise myself that this year I will dig up susceptible plants, but there’s too much else to do at this time of year!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Jeffnz

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 08:31:14 PM »
The pattern of the flowers does not appear to be symptomatic of black death. Most likely either frost burn or a moulid infection.

arisaema

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 08:57:47 AM »
Thank you both! We haven't really had hard frosts, but it's always wet, so I'm thinking these should be retired... Glad to know it's likely fungal, I've sown hundreds of Helleborus thibetanus this winter so I'd hate for it to be "black death".

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 04:18:45 PM »
I have had similar looking buds when it has been too cold when buds have been forming above ground. Some plants seem to be more prone to this and others in the same weather are fine.
I have cut off the damaged bits, just to be sure no disease gets to the damaged parts.
Leena from south of Finland

Jeffnz

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 08:45:13 PM »
Good luck with the thibetanus seed germination. This is one species that I have struggled to get to flowering and probably will not pursue trying yet again. I think that our winters are to wet and summers to dry. By all accounts Thibetanus is a diminutive plant, if you have the right conditions it  is spectacular if you can get a good number of plants in a spot.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 12:05:42 AM »
Yes, I have given up trying to grow thibetanus.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal