We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium macranthum?  (Read 3616 times)

yijiawang

Cypripedium macranthum?
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
Could you please let me know the name? a Cypri is bloom indoor now(my bedroom ;)

johanneshoeller

Re: Cypripedium macranthum?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »
Yijia, it is wonderful to sleep with such a beautiful Cypripedium.
I think it is x ventricosum, but I am not sure.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:32:01 PM »
Hi Yijia
At my first glance I also thought x ventricusum but it is not easy to separate this natural hybrid between C calceolus and C macranthos (the official name) from C macranthos. Generally the wider the lip the more likely it is C macranthos. The hybrid is fertile so it can form a hybrid with C macranthos and then it is even more like C macranthos.
Here is a link to separate them.
http://www.w-frosch.de/Cypris/Hybriden/ventr.htm

A very nice one enjoy
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Michael

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »
Wow!! In your bedroom?? Is it possible to have it there? I thought a bedroom was a place too hot and dry for them... But they look very happy, no matter the conditions you have them :D
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:12 PM »
Michel go to continental Portugal and You will feel how cold and moist it can be in winter.  ::) :o
But I was thinking the same to be honest.
It seem to be a bit out of phase as it is flowering now when it is winter.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:23 PM »
Hum... I am also wondering... If it is possible to fool them to grow here in winter... Since Madeira winter is like continental spring, i was thinking of making them dormant in summer (and refrigerate them in the warmer months, since they do not like warmth) and then make them grow on winter! Is this a good idea?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 03:30:57 PM »
Michel You do no have to warm summer since You are generally below 30 C if I remember correctly and that would not be to much. You would need to have the in fridge over Your winter since they need to go and stay dormant for a while 3-5 month at 2-4C.
I am inclined to test one of my Ulla Silkens here to see if they survive. Here is warmer in the summers so they might go dormant to early?
We will see if I dare to experiment or not. I fear I will not be allowed to store it in the fridge. ::)
Take care
Joakim

Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
Joakim, yes, it is very, very rare to summer temperatures exceed 30ºc (but if they do, its only for 2 to 5 days), but i am still planning to grow them in the cool greenhouse, because there, it never ges above 25, and its very humid :)

haha, many a time i have been shouted at for storing things like that in the fridge!

LOL, yes me too, but i am glad i dont have too many things to put there at the moment.
By the way, how are the phasmids doing Rob? Do they still east the leaves i sent you a while ago?
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

yijiawang

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »
Thank you for your reply and inspire me for grow this cool climate orchid.in fact, climate become warmer and warmer in my city(Beijing China), I remember it is beyond 40C for 2 weeks in year 1997.
I grow some pleione species in winter and place bulbs after cut leaves in June, the bulbs will bloom in Feb---it is very important to me because Chinese traditional new year in Feb.
for Cypripedium, I hope I can enjoy them in my garden too. ventricosum is one of easy to grow species indeed, I try to let them change the cycle of growing so that avoid summer.... hope I can success too :-)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal