We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyril Lafong's new crevice garden  (Read 15876 times)

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Cyril Lafongs new crevice garden
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 01:45:48 AM »
Some day...

....some day....
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 02:57:29 AM »
I notice that in all the crevice garden pictures, it is Ian of the Christie kind that is doing all the work. Where is Cyril? Is the Secret Squirrel SO secret that he remains behind a shed while all the activity takes place? :-X
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 08:35:57 AM »
Dear All, firstly Gote you are a star even I could not move the  half ton stones, the garden looks superb very different to Cyrils and I look forward to seeing pictures of the plants in flower. What a great way to celebrate a birthday long may you continue. Cyril may well have been hiding but I did not have my camera silly fool but Cyril was on his hands and knees building the crevices he also helped to load up the wheel barrows with the sand. I will get some pictures of him when next I am over. I will also get some pictures from his glasshouse and the vast array of plants he has everywhere,cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
Well, we really have started something here such great pictures form everybody, firstly my wheelbarrow has no licence to travel overseas sorry Luc.

mmmm I'm never lucky...   ;D ;D

Wonderful job Ian and Cyril - this will undoubtedly look marvelous !
I'll be watching this space for any further developments.
Thanks for showing us Ian i
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »
I notice that in all the crevice garden pictures, it is Ian of the Christie kind that is doing all the work. Where is Cyril? Is the Secret Squirrel SO secret that he remains behind a shed while all the activity takes place? :-X

Someone has to take the pix, Lesley!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »
Great work Ian. I'm very envious of the new rockery/crevice feature.

Why doesnt Cyril show his plants or garden on the forum? I see he joined way back 23rd November 2006.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 12:50:49 PM »
Hi Mark, everyone, Cyril is very dedicated to his work in the hospital he has a very high powered job and works long hours. He really is a very special person and every time i phone him whatever the time he is in his garden or glasshouse. I am sure that in time he will post pictures himself and i hope you have all read the article he wrote which Maggie ( bless her) put on this forum.  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Carol Shaw

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »
Hi Ian

Good to see the wonderful work you and Cyril have done creating his new crevice bed. Interesting to see the difference between your style and Carole & Ian's - our wee crevice bed is much more your style. Perhaps now that David is a gentleman of leisure  ;D (well once the kitchen and our bedroom have been sorted  :o) we will have time to tackle a bigger bed - I've even worked out where we could build it :) And by using the stone dyke he built there would be a slope - albeit not a steep one!
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008, 06:10:38 PM »
Such is the life of the retired. Come on David get on with it! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
Thank you again Maggie!! :)
.................. drive them some 750 m on a cart Göte ....................

Working on the average 15 m frontage for the houses in my street, that would take me to a house 50 doors away. :-[
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
Hi Everyone, here are some more pictures from Cyril, he and his son Andrew have filled up all the crevices with sand this will be left to settle down over the winter and I am sure that the rain will wash it in, it looks very full at the moment any way we made the best use of the stone we could find it was quite expensive at £ 50odd pounds a ton plus delivery so the whole thing cost a fair bit, the sand was a cost also. I will ask Cyril to keep taking pictures but it will probably be early spring before anything happens, watch this space, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »

Someone has to take the pix, Lesley!!

Oh.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Cyril Lafong's new crevice garden
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »
Hi again, this is the last set of pictures for now, just a finishing touch which Cyril has done all by himself. When I visited the quarry they had huge mounds of shale just the slate broken up really it was mixed sizes from about hand size down to almost corn flakes. I asked if we could buy a bag and one half ton bag was delivered to Cyril this is clean slate and shows the natural colour of the stone Cyril has made a pathway all around the crecice garden and I think it looks great. I imagine we might get some more of this later, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 08:34:40 AM »
it looks very full at the moment any way we made the best use of the stone we could find it was quite expensive at £ 50odd pounds a ton plus delivery so the whole thing cost a fair bit,

The overall effect really looks great Ian  :D - if ever we'd want to build something similar though, it would cost a small fortune.  The price for the rock alone would be something between 300 and 400 pound a ton plus delivery....   :'( 
So if you'd obtain an international license for your wheelbarrow, please do not wheel it down here empty...  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paddy Tobin

Re: Cyril Lafong's new crevice garden
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »
It would be interesting to see this feature developing. We have seen the construction and it would be nice to see the planting, initial planting and then as the planting developed.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal