We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pancratium maritimum  (Read 12429 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:18 PM »
The Greeks are paranoiac about cameras anywhere near their military establishments and I was never stupid enough to take a camera near them except once, by accident.
We went looking for orchids in Rhodes and climbed up a steep hill through the scrub.  We walked along a rough road  for half a mile and then heard gunfire.  I thought it was the usual Greek pastime of blasting any living creature as "sport" . Then it changed to burst of automatic fire.   My instinct was to creep up and see where the firing was coming from.   We had blundered into an Army firing range.  I could see the firing butts about 800 yards away and me festooned with binoculars and camera.  My poor uncomplaining wife was dragged at speed down the hillside through thorns and heaven knows what else until we were far enough away to relax.  When I get round to posting some of the pictures you will know how hard won they were!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Pancratium maritimum
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »
Good job you saw only their butts Tom. At least then, although, presumably not a pretty sight, they weren't facing you. ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal