We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: about Stenomesson variegatum  (Read 3692 times)

biodiversite

about Stenomesson variegatum
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »
I raised this plant from seeds : first flowering last year, pink. New flowering this year, and surprise, the flower is white : please could you tell me what is the regular color ?

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: about Stenomesson variegatum
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:00:13 PM »
Is there a chance that you have had different seedlings flower last year and this year?  Or is it definitely the same plant?  Mine has never flowered so I can't help.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

biodiversite

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:55:08 PM »
sorry, my sentence could be interprate of different manners. I'm sure they are 2 different bulbs from the same seedling, which allowed me to obtain 6 adult bulbs. The bigger has flowered last year, pink, and another one this year flowers white.

As andine plants, I think they need great variations of temperature to flower.

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »
Hi:

"Stenomesson" variegatum belong to the group with linear leaves, now regarded as a separate genus, Clinanthus. This is the group of plants that can be grown like Zephyranthes, Hippeastrum and other plants that are grown under warmish conditions.

True Stenomessons have petioled leaves and these are alpine that require cool conditions not only during their winter dormancy but also the rest of the year.

The normal color for variegatum is a nice carrot salmon with markings at the tepals' tips. That a white form has appeared in cultivation is of great interest.

Best regards
Alberto
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

biodiversite

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 07:06:17 PM »
Thank you Alberto : I hope the bulb will multiplicate vegetatively so I would be able to give it to other plants lovers  ;)

Ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
Hi:

Once it reaches a certain size that is normal for C.variegatus. However it would be the first time an albino form shows reduced vigor.

Best regards
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

biodiversite

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
Then, I can say now that it is not an albino form but only a "pallida" one, as the initially white flowers finally turns to soft pink : here is a picture of the flowers after two weeks : young one is white but the others, no... Sorry for the mistake  :-\

Clinanthus variegatus forme claire évolution
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:43:20 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal