We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodo ID's or clues  (Read 6634 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Rhodo ID's or clues
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »
Martin - Many of these Maddenias will root easily, even in water with care. When rooting in water it is imperative to get them out of the water before rooting is too extensive. Pot them up in a small pot (very airy mix) in a plastic bag for awhile and keep them slightly on the dry side. Then carefully wean them to full exposure.  R. x veichianum roots like a weed in water.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
That's useful to know, John. I already have three small shoots of 'Martha Wright' in a pot in a frame hoping to root them after I dropped a tray on my new plant from Glendoick before Christmas  ::)    Luckily it was a very bushy young plant so losing the three straggliest shoots won't hurt. I have a few very straggly old Maddenia types that I wouldn't mind starting again from cuttings.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 02:39:43 PM »
Does anybody has any clues regarding this one?

Whatever it is, it's a very old plant!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Roma

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 10:49:06 PM »
I saw these Rhodos in a friend's garden last Sunday.  They used to be landscape gardeners and had several Rhodos which they acquired from client's gardens but do not have names for them.  I thought the first one with narrow leaves particularly interesting.  Any ideas Maggi?
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

johnw

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 11:13:41 PM »
Roma - The first looks like a makinoi but seems a tad early for that in Scotland.  Have to see the flower.

The second one looks like fortunei or decorum. Maggi ???

john
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:59:56 AM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 11:18:36 PM »
Mike - There are so many white evergreen azalea hybrids, I am at a loss but Maggi may come to the rescue.

I have to ask is that azalea petal blight I see on the flower in the background in the bottom right hand corner? I see a brown patch on the flower and if it feels slimy it is blight. I ask because I have often wondered if it is a problem in Europe. It strikes the late evergreen azaleas here in mid June when humidity is high and fog frequent. A tiny grey bead develops on the flowers which later falls to the ground and perpetuates the cycle. Blighted flowers never drop off the plant on their own.

Hope not to cause alarm.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »
Nice rhodos, Roma!  I reckon that the fab pink buds are on a form of R. makinoi ... 'Fuji no Matsui' .... a real cracker which hold the colour as the flowers open, which is an unusual feature for the pinks.
I'll go for fortunei on the scented glamour girl!

Sorry, Mike, I'm not at all good with azalea names  :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal