We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: News from the Crocus Group  (Read 103801 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: News from the Crocus Group
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
Advance notice for Crocus Group Members.  It is seed exchange time.  Here is how it works.
Seed Exchange

The aim of the seed exchange is to get seed to members as close as possible to the correct time for them to be sown for optimal germination (in the northern hemisphere)

Crocus seed has been shown to germinate best if sown during the higher temperatures of late summer before the lower temperatures of autumn and winter initiate germination.

The best time for sowing is therefore at the same time as nature does it in the wild, that is when the ripe seed is expelled from the mature seedpod in late spring to early summer. For this reason we ask donors to send seed as soon as possible after they have collected it, and in any case before 31st of July.

On the 1st of August a seed list is compiled and sent to members who have requested a copy by sending me a stamped addressed envelope, again before the 31st of July. Overseas members should not stamp the envelope, but an International Reply Coupon would be appreciated.

Members should indicate on the seed list which seeds they want up to a limit of 30 packets, and the seed request should be returned before the 31st of August. On or about the 1st of September the seeds are divided between the members who requested them, with donors getting first choice, although non donors always get a good deal. You will receive your seeds within a few days after that. They should be sown immediately and left exposed to the weather until they germinate, after which they may be brought under cover.

Donations of seed and requests for seed lists from non donors should be sent, before 31st July each year to:-

David B Stephens
‘Green Hollow’, 76 South Terrace, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 2AQ, UK.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »
I referred them to "Crocus" by Brian Matthew, but they are a curiously thick-headed lot.

If they do not need it perhaps you can persuade them to sell it to me  ;D ;D ;D

Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
A propos obelisks and alligators.

"The previous government brough us to the edge of an abyss but we have now after the election taken a great step forward."

Cheers
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »
Happy landings Gote. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 11:02:44 PM »
Hi Tony do donors have to request the seed list or is automatic for donors?
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
Hi Tony do donors have to request the seed list or is automatic for donors?
Always best to request, then there is no chance of confusion.

Below is an article by David Stephens from the forthcoming Crocus Group Newsletter giving more information about the seed exchange.

Crocus Group Seed Exchange 2009
The aim of the seed exchange is to get seed to members as close as possible to the correct time for them to be sown for optimal germination (in the northern hemisphere). Crocus seed has been shown to germinate best if sown during the higher temperatures of late summer before the lower temperatures of autumn and winter initiate germination. The best time for sowing is therefore at the same time as nature does it in the wild, that is when the ripe seed is expelled from the mature seedpod in late spring to early summer. For this reason we ask donors to send seed as soon as possible after they have collected it, and in any case before 31st of July.

On or about the 1st of August a seed list is compiled and sent to members who have requested a copy by sending me a stamped addressed envelope, again before the 31st of July. Overseas members should not stamp the envelope, but an International Reply Coupon would be appreciated.

Members should indicate on the seed list which seeds they want up to a limit of 30 packets, and the seed request should be returned before the 31st of August. On or about the 1st of September the seeds are divided between the members who requested them, with donors getting first choice, although non donors always get a good deal. You will receive your seeds within a few days after that. They should be sown immediately and left exposed to the weather until they germinate, after which they may be brought under cover.

Donations of seed and requests for seed lists from non donors should be sent, before 31st July to: - David Stephens, ‘Green Hollow’, 76 South Terrace, Dorking, Surrey. RH4 2AQ, UK.

To recap:
Rule 1. If you are a donor, send seed to me before 31.7.2009
Rule 2. If you are not a donor but want a seed list, send a SAE to me before 31.7.2009
Obviously, donors always get first choice and very rare seed in short supply invariably goes to them. However, non-donors receive a fair proportion of what they ask for and always get a good deal.

Some statistics last three years:   
Year   No. of Crocus group members   No. of members requesting seed list   No. of members donating seed    No. of seed lots offered
   No. of Crocus taxa represented
2008   184   61 (33%)   28 (15%)   110   65
2007   166   61 (37%)   27 (16%)   148   74
2006   153   64 (42%)   26 (17%)   159   73

The Crocus Group seed exchange has I think been very successful and instrumental in getting most of the known Crocus taxa into cultivation. When I managed to persuade Primrose Warburg to allow the first seed exchange in 1992, it was very difficult to get hold of many Crocus taxa, even some of those we would consider fairly common by today’s standards.

One of my frustrations as curator of the exchange over the years has been that for the rarer taxa there are never enough seeds to make more than just a few packets. Obviously, most members request these so most will not receive them. These are distributed by a blind draw among the donors. Very occasionally there are enough seeds to allow everyone to have a packet such as with Crocus michelsonii in 2007. However, even with such small numbers of seed available these rare taxa are becoming slowly more widely grown. These last few years has seen the distribution of small quantities of Crocus wattiorum so in a few years time hopefully this will be more widely grown.

Can I urge members to make an effort to try to get seeds from their plants and to swap them in the seed exchange; this is one of the major ways to increase their availability and your collection. It can be difficult to get Crocus seed set in bad growing seasons particularly on the spring taxa. But, if while you are examining your flowering pots you carry a paint brush or similar implement, you can assist nature by becoming a pollinator. Growing bulbous plants from seed does not seem to occur to a lot of otherwise good growers. Perhaps it is the fact that you have to wait a few years to see a flower that deters. However, other than this, the process is extremely easy, just put Crocus seed in seed compost in a pot in late summer, expose to all weathers until germination then put under some protection from excess cold and water logging. Keep on the dry side over the late spring and summer then repeat the process. A few years doing this and you will have the pleasure each year of seeing new flowering pots of Crocus of your own making.
David Stephens

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »
Somehow I managed to miss this thread :( but will try to be more alert next year ;D

In the meantime when is the newsletter expected?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
Ashley
You should have had a newsletter in July.  Articles by David Stephens on seed exchange and Janis on diseases.  I am working on a pdf newsletter with pictures.  Don't suppose you would let me use the great Crocus hadriaticus pic you posted recently?  PM me if you did not get the newsletter.... but I'm pretty sure you did ;)
Next one in the new year.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:42:15 PM »
I guess my membership has expired then?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 10:50:31 PM »
I got my copy
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »
I guess my membership has expired then?
Your membership must have expired a while ago - not even on the old list I was sent a year ago when I took over!  Welcome back? :)

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
Hi Tony,I am fairly new  with crocuses , even I have a nice colection,I would learn more about it.
Please inform me how to become a new member,Thanks  :)
Guy.
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
To join the Crocus Group you need to send a cheque or cash for £5GB (Or 10 euro cash/£8GBP for non UK) to Mr Tony Goode.  3 Woodland Road, Hellesdon, Norwich NR6 5RA. UK.

The fee is a one off which is only repeated when group funds run low, (perhaps every 5 years.)   We are an independant and very informal group with no constitution or rules!  Just a group of folk with a shared interest. 

The seed exchange takes place in summer and to take part all you have to do is send a request for a list to the seed exchange organiser.  Full details will follow once you join.  Please feel free to contact me via email or Personal Message if you need more info.

Hi Geebo - above is the relevant info.  (Actually is the first post in this thread.  I think I need to repost in a new thread and lock the thread so it is easier to find)  We are encouraging all members to use email communication for newsletters as this allows inclusion of colour pics and will make the subscriptions last a lot longer.  The seed-ex is the main attraction for many as it gives access to a range of species and forms not easily obtained elsewhere.  Unfortunately it is completed this year.   

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 04:44:20 AM »
Thanks Tony,
I post the € 10.00 as requested in the next few day`s.
Visited Your website,very interesting,and educational.
Cheers,
Guy
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »
I did receive the seed list which I didn't use this year, just too much else going on but I haven't received the Newsletter.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal