We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2008  (Read 42460 times)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
Re: Crocus November 2008
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »
More interesting comments re Crocus goulimyi subsp/var leucanthus.  Thanks especially to Dr Dave for the wild population observations.  I don't especially like splitting plants into subsp on colour alone.  So many crocus have albino forms that this distinction is usually meaningless.  However where the populations in a distinct area are uniformly white it is easier to justify the split.  But in gardens and with plants grown from cultivated seed how can these two plants be distinguished?  Some C goulmiyi goulimyi are very pale or bicolored and white forms have arisen in cultivation.  The truth is that without knowing the wild origins of a white/pale lilac plant it is not possible to distinguish between the two supposed subspecies.  I prefer varietal status for this reason.
Aaah ... you may say "what about Crocus vernus subspecies albiflorus?"  Well that one is distinct by its high altitude habitats and it is often lilac or striped in colour.  But even here it can be different to determine in cultivated specimens.
It would be boring if it was all straightforward!!   ;)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »
Crocus vernus subspecies albiflorus  ... is often lilac ...  It would be boring if it was all straightforward!! 

In my innocence, I though albiflorus meant white flowers   ::)  ::)  it could never be boring!

My C goulimyi leucanthus do have a tinge of lilac, but is "Mani White" a pure white clone

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:01:17 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Gerry Webster

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
Dave - My apologies. I became so preoccupied with the taxonomic questions that I forgot to say how much I enjoyed your pics of the plants near Monemvasia. One of the pleasures of this forum is seeing virtually plants in the wild that one will never see in reality.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »
My C goulimyi leucanthus do have a tinge of lilac, but is "Mani White" a pure white clone
Yes Mani White is a white clone (of 'ssp' goulimyi) although when viewed adjacent to C goulimyi leucanthus it looks a little creamy.

Here are a few crocus photographed on the odd sunny day in the last couple of weeks.

Crocus laevigatus - white form
Crocus laevigatus - seedlin from the previous form.  Note the big dark blotch on the outer petals suggesting a intra-specific hybrid with another form of C laevigatus
Crocus laevigatus seedling mix
Crocus oreocreticus
Crocus thomasii - 2 forms.  The very wide open one was 'forced' indoors, they do not usually open so flat here.
Crocus speciosus -from Armenia but with a yellow throat and creamy anthers suggesting hybrid with C pulchellus.  Note also the pale golden wash on the outer petals.  Zhirair - are you watching this?  Can you advise.
And lastly the two white C goulimyi
First are 2nd generation seedlings of C goulimyi Mani White.
Second is C goulimyi leucanthus from wild collected seed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:03:37 AM by tonyg »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
And lastly the two white C goulimyi
First are 2nd generation seedlings of C goulimyi Mani White.
Second is C goulimyi leucanthus from wild collected seed.
Tony - the last plant looks distinctly bicoloured in the photo & very like a plant I had from Kath Dryden as C. goulimyi leucanthus. Dave comments above that he saw no bicoloured forms near Monemvasia. Where was your  seed from?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:44 AM »
The plants illustrated came from seed collected by Steve Keeble in 2000.  The collection came with a KKK number, the K's for three places beginning with K not 3 Keebles!  You may be able to help with where these places are as right now the information eludes me.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »
The following are pictures taken at the classic Goulimyi var leucantha site in 2005, plus a shot from the .Monument ' site near Areopolis of Goulimyi ssp goulimyi for comparison.  I will post shots from this year later as I have yet to download from the camera.

This year there were fewer bicolours at Foutia, indeed I would say that the Crocus were in danger of being outnumbered by the Cyclamen - they put on a fantastic scented display.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
The following are pictures taken at the classic Goulimyi var leucantha site in 2005, plus a shot from the .Monument ' site near Areopolis of Goulimyi ssp goulimyi for comparison.  I will post shots from this year later as I have yet to download from the camera.

This year there were fewer bicolours at Foutia, indeed I would say that the Crocus were in danger of being outnumbered by the Cyclamen - they put on a fantastic scented display.
Now that raises an important question.  Are the apparently all white populations really all white or are there lilac and bicolored plants which flower at slightly different times?  Does what you see depend on when you are there?  Clearly from Arts records there are quite strongly lilac flowered plants among some populations of C goulimyi leucanthus which further blurs the distinction between the two putative subspecies.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:39 AM »
Tony - Sorry I have no relevant info. The only seed  ex Steve Keeble  I  have had came from Jim Archibald's cultivated plants in 1999. I assume it was derived from  SK's 1992  collection. It produced only all-white plants as Jim Archibald states in his list.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
I had corms way back in the 60s as Crocus speciosus `Cassiope.' It was imported from Van Tubergens and was a soft blue, heavily veined darker. Haven't got it now. :'(
Hi Lesley
I have C.speciosus 'Cassiope'. If you want, i will be able to send you some seeds
next year in summer (I believe that you cannot receive bulbills ?!)
Dom
do

Pontoux France

HClase

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »
Gerry,

I agree, my use of the word "cannot" was too strong.  However, there has to be some morphological distinction too.  Your example of dandelions was a bad one, by the way, Taraxicum officinale is apomictic and doesn't exchange its genes with anything - hence its success!

As far as the ultimate authority on naming is concerned I think it's something botanical rather than a seed list.  But they are changing their minds all the time!   I think it's not incorrect to use an unfashionable name as long as the full attribution of authority and date are given, but how cumbersome is that?  I think when we are being gardeners what matters most is that our fellow gardeners know what we are talking about - if we are being botanists then it's a different matter, but this is a gardener's forum.
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »
Howard - Thanks. I stand corrected, careless of me. Choose some other plant or dandelions from non-apomictic populations (which I believe exist).

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
I think when we are being gardeners what matters most is that our fellow gardeners know what we are talking about - if we are being botanists then it's a different matter, but this is a gardener's forum.
I'll second that opinion although I am always glad when someone more knowledgeable can increase my botanical understanding.

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
Crocus biflorus ssp melantherus

BD and I second that, for what it's worth! I do see what Armin gets his aleppicus suggestion from, though..... orange throat and lovely outer veining......it'd be good to see the inside when it opens on the next sunny day!!  ::)

There's no pulling the wool over your eyes ! Have you seen them in the 'wild' Tony ?

The sun was out today so here is a better shot of the outside,

93756-0

and the inside.

93758-1
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
No - not seen it in the wild - yet!  When shall we go?
I have seen a form with similar markings and at this time of year I had no other suggestions.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal