We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Seed List  (Read 31009 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: New Seed List
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 09:51:07 PM »
Seed arrived down here this morning and has been sown. :D

Great timing as we are receiving a nice steady drop of moisture after a couple of weeks of warm dry settled weather.

Many, many thanks to the donors ,organizers, helpers--all those people who have been involved in the seed setup.  :-*

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »
I received 20 first choices today, which I think is remarkable.

It may be interesting to see what was already gone by the time my order was done:

Eranthis stellata, Iris winogradowii, Lithodora zahnii, Shortia, Tecophilaea

Are these the latest pop plants, or is it more a question of these plants
setting only a little seed?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 02:10:34 AM »
No SRGC seed here yet but MAF will have it I guess. You must have been lucky Dave. Fermi if our packets come through uninspected, we are obliged by law, to relinquish them to MAF for inspection. Of course we all do that.

I don't know if it happened to others, but for some reason AGS packers didn't send back our enclosed lists but instead, enclosed a copy of the whole seedlist. They must have had way too many to start with. But MAF aren't happy because they have to look through the whole list to compare seeds with numbers instead of down a single piece of paper. And we (Roger and I) therefore ended up with 4 seedlists instead of the one which would have been enough.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 02:12:18 AM »
Diane, I think your second sugestion would be the one to go with. I doubt there would ever be enough of Shortia for instance and the Tecophilaea will always be highly desirable, no matter how many seeds it produces.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:26:47 AM by Ian Y »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Linda_Foulis

• Beautiful Blooms
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 02:25:59 AM »
Seed arrived here in Okotoks, AB Canada today.   ;D
Very exciting as this is my first time with SRGC seed list.  I received all but one of my first choices.

Still 10C at 7:30 pm here in the foothills of the Rockies, barely any snow to speak of, winter?
Linda Foulis
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Zone 3 gardener
Head honcho at Beautiful Blooms

grannysmith

• Gardening is the best medicine
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 02:36:55 AM »
Has anyone in Australia got theirs yet? The waiting is killing me!  ???
Marjorie Smith, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 04:37:09 AM »
Hi Marjorie
at least one of our local AGS group definitely has, but no sign of mine yet! How do we check if our request was actually received?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 10:53:48 AM »
Fermi, the Seed distribution team has been working furiously to get all the orders filled and I have been reluctant to send them too many queries as to status, on the grounds that checking those will slow them down from sending out seeds! ::)
I will, however, contact the Drs Bainbridge  to ask if they feel they could cope with some queries now, I'll get back to you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »
The Seed Distribution Team has been working its socks off and reports that nearly all the orders are done and, apart from some waiting to get permits or lists made of surplus orders, all will be in the post by next week sometime. So, patience, chaps! We asked what the position was for checking to see whether individuals' orders had been received or not and it seems that since so many folks don't add their name and address to their order, other than for the label use, it is hard todistinguish orders once they have been made up. I presume that Dr Hayes can tell whether or not he got money from someone, but his mail-box is apparently full to the brim since I keep getting bounce back messages from his server. Ian Bainbridge will ask him about that problem.
If you are an American member who has not yet sent in your permit then please do so as quickly as possible, your orders are waiting for the paperwork to arrive.
Hope this cheers you up, you shouldn't have to wait too long now!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 12:58:44 AM »
My and Roger's seed arrived at the beginning of the week, this even with a short holiday chez MAF.

PEAK

• Always from seed!
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »
Nothing has arrived to me in Stockholm yet! I rush for the mail box each day coming home from work.
This is plain torture ;)
Keep up the very good work :)

Per-Ake
Per-Åke Löfdahl Bulb Enthusiast
Stockholm-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
Welcome , Per-Ake. Congratulations on being our 200th registration to the Forum. I hope your seed arrives very soon and grows well for you, too!

PEAK

• Always from seed!
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 01:01:51 PM »
Thank you Maggi! The secretary knows where to send the prize ;D
Preferably seeds of Dipcadi concanense or reidii, or perhaps an Dodo egg :)
This forum is a superb source of knowledge, I am glad to be a forumer!
Per-Åke Löfdahl Bulb Enthusiast
Stockholm-Sweden

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 05:50:18 PM »
I looked over the list, I think I will have to sign up in the fall.

I'm mostly interested in the crocus and cyclamen seeds. What I am wondering about is, how many seeds come in each packet? Can you get more then one packet of same, if seed per packet is few?

Also being in the USA, are we able to send seeds in to donate? I dont have any to donate right now, but I will have many cyclamen seeds in the coming years.

Thanks for info

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »
Guff, there are not generally many seeds in the packet... the seed packeters have an idea of how many people asked for each type the year befroe and work out how many packets they can reasonably get out of the seed that has been donted and make the packets up accordingly. It is not possible to ask for multiple packets, but one can ask for more types in the surplus seed distribution.
There is no problem at all in donating seeds from the USa to the UK, or indeed from any other country.
You must abide by your own government's regulations to comply with those to enable you to receive seed from the exchange, of course. That is, you must apply for a seed import permit,etc, you can find notes about that elsewhere in these pages and in NARGS site as well, I think.

There are other benefits to overseas members of SRGC other than the seed exchange ; there is our truly excellent twice yearly Journal, a full colour publication called  "The Rock Garden", for instance, and this Forum and website, which would not be here without the SRGC working to fulfill its aims to inform and educate about the rock garden and alpine plants of the world.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal