We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: early narcissus  (Read 22884 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: early narcissus
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
Ah, the joys of the english language..... yes, Luc, clanger can mean a mistake.... as in the phrase "Tim dropped a clanger" meaning that Tim made a faux pas...but clanger is also another term for a "clapper", the metal piece which moves to ring the note in a bell.... we thought the flowers were nicely bell-shaped with good stamens that made us think of this part of the bell, and clanger seemd nicer than clapper...... :P ::) ;D

Thanks Maggi !
Always glad to learn something - and I see the resemblence.. ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »
Ah, the joys of the english language..... yes, Luc, clanger can mean a mistake.... as in the phrase "Tim dropped a clanger" meaning that Tim made a faux pas...but clanger is also another term for a "clapper", the metal piece which moves to ring the note in a bell.... we thought the flowers were nicely bell-shaped with good stamens that made us think of this part of the bell, and clanger seemd nicer than clapper...... :P ::) ;D

...and there was me thinking 'tiny' and 'clanger' meant something else? ;) Wouldn't the bell thingy be clangour?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerry Webster

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »
Re Narcissus 'Nylon,' I'm not too sure whether it should be 'Nylon' which is a cultivar name and implies a single clone, so every one identical, or x Nylon which is a grex (the seedlings from a specified cross) and so a batch very similar but not necessarily the same. One of the Narcissus experts should be able to tell us. But having said that, so many are around as Nylon, that I'd be inclined to go for the latter. I have a dozen almost the same plants only one of which I have as Nylon but the others which came from seed as foliosus and various other names are to all intents and purposes the same thing, in colour, form, height, and flowering time (autumn through winter), so what is Nylon? As well, I've sown batches of seed from all these so probably the name 'Nylon' is a no-brainer anyway.
Lesley - according to The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs 'grex', when used in relation to rhododendrons which are the product of one cross, is synonymous with 'group'. So, by analogy, I suppose 'Nylon' might be referred to as the 'Nylon group'. John Blanchard simply refers to it as 'Nylon'.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »
That sounds pretty reasonable Gerry and I'll go along with it rather than trying to identify many very similar plants, each as something different. So, Nylon Group it is - for me anyway.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »
John Blanchard simply refers to it as 'Nylon'.   

It was John Blanchard's father who raised 'Nylon' so presumably John has still got the original clone.   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 04:25:38 AM »
Sure, but which of dozens around under that name is the "true" 'Nylon?'
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Both Daffseek and the Internationsl Daffodil register say they should be referred to as Nylon Group.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
John Blanchard simply refers to it as 'Nylon'.   
It was John Blanchard's father who raised 'Nylon' so presumably John has still got the original clone.   

It appears from John Blanchard's remarks in his book Narcissus: A Guide to Wild Daffodils (p138) that there is no original clone: "It is really a name which should never have been given because it was bestowed by Alec Gray on all the seedlings my father sent him.......Nylon is therefore not a clone".
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »
It appears from John Blanchard's remarks in his book Narcissus: A Guide to Wild Daffodils (p138) that there is no original clone: "It is really a name which should never have been given because it was bestowed by Alec Gray on all the seedlings my father sent him.......Nylon is therefore not a clone".

So what about the other fabric names Taffeta, etc (what are the others??) are they not clonal names either?  I'd always assumed they were sister seedlings - presumable they are not either?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
So what about the other fabric names Taffeta, etc (what are the others??) are they not clonal names either?  I'd always assumed they were sister seedlings - presumable they are not either?
Diane -  John Blanchard's text in full is:  "It is really a name which should never have been given because it was bestowed by Alec Gray on all the seedlings my father sent him from which 'Tarlatan' and the others ['Muslin', 'Taffeta' and 'Jessamy'] had been selected. Nylon is therefore not a clone". This seems to imply that  the other named forms are genuine clones

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »
Diane -  John Blanchard's text in full is:  "It is really a name which should never have been given because it was bestowed by Alec Gray on all the seedlings my father sent him from which 'Tarlatan' and the others ['Muslin', 'Taffeta' and 'Jessamy'] had been selected. Nylon is therefore not a clone". This seems to imply that  the other named forms are genuine clones

Thanks for that, Gerry, I'm being lazy as I have Blanchard's book at home but I'm at work now without access to it.  So Nylon is the group, and Muslin, Taffeta etc are seedling clones from Nylon Group?  I now remember the names, there's also Poplin. 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
From where I stand, "Nylon" is just a rather unpleasant-to-wear fabric :-X  :P
I have been a follower of the Group theory ( not to be confusedwith being a "groupie" which is quite other..... which brings me, in a somewhat convoluted fashion, to my next point.....
...and there was me thinking 'tiny' and 'clanger' meant something else?  Wouldn't the bell thingy be clangour

No, Anthony: clangour, an alternative spelling for, and derived from the same Latin word, clangor means a constant clanging noise.... no reference to the metal clapper widgit which makes said noise.  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
Well there you go. ;D I've just been down to the staff room where the soup dragon plied us with various broths for a fiver, to raise money for 'Children in Need'. We managed £345.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
Thanks to everyone for clearing up the Nylon discusson. Simple really. It was in the UK that I first experienced nylon sheets on a bed, truly ghastly experience. Don't think they've ever been available in NZ. Thank heaven for small mercies.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:25 PM »
So, is the correct way to write it 'Narcissus x Nylon'  ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal