We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: early narcissus  (Read 22899 times)

Roma

Re: early narcissus
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 11:12:16 PM »
The following pictures were taken on October 30th.  The bulbs were grown from seed in the late 80's as Narcissus cantabricus hybrids.  I originally had one cream and one pale yellow.  The first pic is the original lemon clone and the second a seedling from the cream.  The flowers open yellow and fade to cream. They are vigorous and early flowering but I have not returned seed to the seed exchange as I am not sure what to call it. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 11:26:53 AM »
First time to the greenhouse today after entertaining visitors for the past week to find the first flower on a pot of three Narcissus cantabricus ssp. cantabricus var. foliosus from Anne Wright.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »
Well, Narcissus viridiflorus are just coming now !
Here is the first one :

Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
Magnifique ! Bravo Fred
do

Pontoux France

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 11:33:20 AM »
I have a stem with a flower bud. Yippee! ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56:44 PM »
I'll stick to the easy ones! This is a nice clean form of N. cantabricus given to me by a friend. It is quite vigorous too, this pot is flwering in its second year from twin-scaling.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
Please note - I posted some pics of autumn flowering daffs (including N. viridiflorus) in 'Narcissus miniatus and others'

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
You're right Anne !  A very good, almost perfect form of cantabricus !!!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
Anne,

What a glorious form of it.  So perfect!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
Here are a couple from the greenhouse today: Narcissus romieuxii Craigton Clanger, from Ian in 2007 and flowering for me for the first time; and, Narcissus x Nylon-I'm not sure I have written this properly and any advise would be welcome.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
Arthur, can I ask you to keep a note of what height the 'Camoros' reac when they are all in full flower? I suspect that with the different light levels with you they will keep much neater than they do up here, where, though very lovely, they do tend to get a bit too tall  ???

Maggi

Most were 4.5 inches tall, with a couple, including the first one, reaching 5.25 inches   :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »
David, how nice to see young 'Craigton Clanger' enjoying life with you!  We think it a pretty thing.

Arthur.... this is much shorter than 'Camoro' makes with us..........either next door's holly tree has to go, or we really MUST clean the greenhouse glass properly  :-[ :P ::)
 Even with those (drastic) measures taken, I do think that the North East light quality, while fabulous for artists, painters and so on, is less than perfect for plant growth in the late/early seasons of the year. :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »
David, how nice to see young 'Craigton Clanger' enjoying life with you!  We think it a pretty thing.

My N. "Craigton Clanger" if flowering as well - two bulbs from the same source  ;D planted in Summer 2007 gave no flowers last winter but resulted in 5 bulbs when I repotted in July and 5 flowers right now !!!  :D :D  On an +- 8 cm stem, it's indeed a wee pretty thing !
I have a question though - what does "clanger" stand for ?? - the dictionary says something like "ugly"... surely that cannot be correct !!!  ??? ???
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:55:28 PM by Luc Gilgemyn »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 06:07:28 PM »
Ah, the joys of the english language..... yes, Luc, clanger can mean a mistake.... as in the phrase "Tim dropped a clanger" meaning that Tim made a faux pas...but clanger is also another term for a "clapper", the metal piece which moves to ring the note in a bell.... we thought the flowers were nicely bell-shaped with good stamens that made us think of this part of the bell, and clanger seemd nicer than clapper...... :P ::) ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »
Re Narcissus 'Nylon,' I'm not too sure whether it should be 'Nylon' which is a cultivar name and implies a single clone, so every one identical, or x Nylon which is a grex (the seedlings from a specified cross) and so a batch very similar but not necessarily the same. One of the Narcissus experts should be able to tell us. But having said that, so many are around as Nylon, that I'd be inclined to go for the latter. I have a dozen almost the same plants only one of which I have as Nylon but the others which came from seed as foliosus and various other names are to all intents and purposes the same thing, in colour, form, height, and flowering time (autumn through winter), so what is Nylon? As well, I've sown batches of seed from all these so probably the name 'Nylon' is a no-brainer anyway.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:34:54 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal