We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: early narcissus  (Read 22821 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: early narcissus
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »
I repeat my earlier 'operational' definition of a clone which I would put money on. "A clone (in the plant world) is conventionally regarded as a group of individuals derived from a single individual by vegetative propagation". Given that propagation is vegetative, it is assumed  that, for the most part, these individuals will be genetically identical. While this assumption is reasonable, in practical terms  genetic identity is not  part of the concept. Can anyone cite an example of a putative clone being confirmed as such by genetic analysis? A further ground for assuming genetic identity is that, given the same conditions of cultivation, all these  individuals tend to look alike and to be like the original individual. In cases where this is not the case, it is assumed that there has been somatic mutation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:40:51 PM by Maggi Young »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Jim McKenney

• Butterscotch: munching in Maryland
    • My Virtual Maryland Garden
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
Jim, see the links on my posting above re Joy Bishop, including input from the lady herself.

Thanks, Anne.

Ah, now I realize what happened. I clicked on the first link, read all the posts there, and saw nothing helpful about 'Joy Bishop'. But did not see the second link.

Too occupied with something else; what might that be....
Jim McKenney
Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
My Virtual Maryland Garden
http://www.jimmckenney.com/
Blog! http://mcwort.blogspot.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:31 PM »
Jim, see the links on my posting above re Joy Bishop, including input from the lady herself.

Thanks, Anne.

Ah, now I realize what happened. I clicked on the first link, read all the posts there, and saw nothing helpful about 'Joy Bishop'. But did not see the second link.

Too occupied with something else; what might that be....

Icing your Christmas cake?  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »
I wrote this before, I will write it again:
Folks, the RHS accepted terminology for "clone" etc  has been set out here, well enough for most of us gardeners to follow..... let's not go down the road of further discussion on the usage of the words.... this is a plant thread.

Anyone wishing to contribute their thoughts to a specific thread about the implications of our use of words such as clone/cultivar etc, may open such a thread for that purpose.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:18:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »
I agree 100% Maggi.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal