We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione maculata with bulbils - winter temperature?  (Read 2815 times)

kirsitn

Pleione maculata with bulbils - winter temperature?
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:41:47 PM »
I have a single bulb of Pleione maculata that has recently started producing two bulbils from the top of the bulb. Is this the right time for that to happen, and how should I treat it? At the moment it gets around 20 degrees Celsius, which I presume is a bit too hot for the winter rest...  8)

Should I move it to a colder place now (10-15 degrees?), or should I wait until the bulbils have grown bigger? At the moment the bulbils are about 5 mm tall with 1-2 roots each that are 3-5 mm long.
Kristin - Oslo, Norway

Eric Locke

Re: Pleione maculata with bulbils - winter temperature?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
Hi Kristin

I would leave your Maculata in it"s present temperature and let these bulbils get as large as possible untill they eventually drop off the old bulb. I find these can be difficult to grow on and the larger they are the better. You could then drop the temperature a few degrees for a few weeks but this is not that important as the rest period is so short . When these resume growth keep them in a humid atmosphere and give regular mist sprays.
Best of luck with these.
 Eric

kirsitn

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Is it a good idea to give the bulbils a bit of misting while they're still growing on top of the bulb?
And can I hope to get flowers on the bulb this year or does it tend to produce bulbils instead of flowering like some Dendrobiums do if they're kept too moist during the resting period?
Kristin - Oslo, Norway

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
Hello Kristin,

Producing bulbils should not affect flowering - so no worries there.
As to misting - I don't think there's any need at this time of year - the heat has gone hasn't it...  ::) .... if there has ever been any...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

kirsitn

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »
As to misting - I don't think there's any need at this time of year - the heat has gone hasn't it...  ::) .... if there has ever been any...  ::)

Well, I'm keeping it indoors along with the other orchids in my living room, so it's not that much affected by the outdoor temperature.
Kristin - Oslo, Norway

kirsitn

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
Nearly two months later and the bulbils (now ca 1 cm tall) are still growing on top of the bulb. Is that normal? The roots of the bulbils are growing down along the bulb and the longest ones have reached the compost.

Should I still keep it dry at 15-20 degrees? As far as I can tell, there's no sign of any new shoots from the bottom of the bulb.
Kristin - Oslo, Norway

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal