We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium calceolus seedlings  (Read 2706 times)

johanneshoeller

Cypripedium calceolus seedlings
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:27 AM »
We had very strong winters with a lot of snow the last 2 years (more than 2,5 m snow). In this year there is no breeze of winter and we have very high temperatures. So the plants in my alpine garden have started to grow and flower and many flowers are 2 months too early! Only my Cypripediums are sleeping very well.
But now I have seen a lot of Cypripedium calceolus seedlings between the older plants which are more than 1,5 cm high, have small leaves and are dark green, although they are covered. I expect the winter will be back in the next weeks and it will be much colder than now (-10°C or so).
What can I do so the seedlings can survive?  ??? ???

Hans
from Austria 
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
Re: Cypripedium calceolus seedlings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »
Wow!  I would like to have your problem, Hans.  :)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »
Sounds like they would be impossible to remove the seedlings short of digging up the clump and washing off all the soil? I would suggest a deep layer of loose pine needles may help keep the worst of the frost off?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:49:15 PM »
That's a really good idea Anthony. I do exactly that with the Pleiones that I grow outside, a deep layer of loose pine needles as they're making buds and are likely to be frosted. It works a treat. Hans if the layer is flattened down by snow or rain, just sift it up through your fingers to loosen it and the little ones should be safe.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:28:25 PM »
Hans!
What happened??
Did they survive? did you have heavy frosts?
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal