We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: How High/Low is Yours?  (Read 17106 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: How High/Low is Yours?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »
elevation change when You zoom in since the pointer change unless You have it exactly in the midle of the picture.
It is the elevation of where You have the mouse in the picture.
That is what I have and I think that is what Thomas also had/said.
Hope You find it.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
Anthony from an earlier post
Maggi in the layers window tick the terrain box. This puts elevation next to lat & long.

Cheers
Mick
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 01:27:05 PM »
Anthony, when I google earth you it says 110m for your address.
Sandy's at 134m, Jean's at 82m.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 02:06:04 PM »
Gosh, wee sister is watching me! Thanks Maggi.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 02:19:14 PM »
Goodness David, where did you get that? The town down below is Mosgiel where I do my shopping, banking, doctor, post office etc and the picture is taken from about 3 kms from where I live, so far as I can see.

The long, low hill in the backgound is The Maungatua (Maori word maunga = mountain) and though it's low and close to the coast and Dunedin, there are wonderful plants there like Herpolirion novae-zelandiae in its glorious sky blue form, Celmisia argentea and many others and the blue orchid Thelymita venosa along with at least 4 other orchid species. Also of course the super flat cushions of Phyllacne, Donatia and various Dracophyllums. A magical place and only half an hour from the city

Lesley, 
I just Googled Tairi Plain and found the picture at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taieri_Plains. You really do live in a wonderful part of the world.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
Mmmm. Could be Dunblane fae the Shirramire?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »
It's quite amazing, to me, when I think about it. In Okotoks, Alberta, Canada I garden at 1053m or 3454 ft.  I've never even seen an ocean or sea.  Our growing season, on average is a mere 112 days. 

I should move down the slope.  ;D

Linda, that's going to take a bit of beating! It's pretty hard for someone born and bred on a small island to think that some people have never seen the sea. It is said that in the UK no-one is more than 72 miles from the sea and  I am about 12 miles away from it as the crow flies on the South Western peninsula of England. My climate is governed by it and any bad weather on the Eastern side of America usually crosses the Atlantic and gives us a taste of it too. Just at present we appear to going through a phase of regular low pressure weather systems following each other across the Atlantic and so far in the last ten days we have had rain on eight of them and strong winds on seven of them. We don't get much frost though so we can't have it all ways can we?  
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »
Mmmm. Could be Dunblane fae the Shirramire?

This Huddersfield lad needs a translation from t'other Huddersfield lad!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 02:45:11 PM »
Shirramire = Sheriffmuir, which is a moorland (and famous battle site) up the hill from my side of Dunblane. I'll try to find a pic when I get home. It is the home of the fabled Evelyn Stevens.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 02:52:38 PM »
........ of Meconopsis fame?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2007, 06:46:57 PM »
That very one, David. Evelyn and her husband, Lewis have a wonderful garden high on the moor which they have created from scratch around their house which they had built from a little more than a pile of rubble. It is there that Evelyn grows a wide selection of plants, but, most famously, of course, Meconopsis.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

PEAK

• Always from seed!
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »
We garden at our 3000 square meters large site in Tyresö, some 30 km SE of Stockholm. The average elevation is something like 40 m, top elevation 46 m and lowest 24 m. (This I know because we are about to bild a new house). As you perhaps realize by these figures we actually own  the top of a hill, close to a bay of the Baltic. Use this link and see an aerial photo of our ground with our (old) house marked :D

http://tinyurl.com/27gy3b

If you zoom it to maximum (lower left corner), you can actually see our boat laying upside down! This makes me feel a bit sad, because the boat was ruined a few weeks ago in a storm together with the highest water level ever recorded in the Baltic. (We should have left it upside down at our parking space).
I'll insert a pic to give you a feeling of what it looks like at ground level. We have a miximum soil depth of about half a meter, meaning we do grow a lot in pots, meaning constant watering!
The climate of this area is not quite like that of Gothenburg, we only receive about 425 mm (17 inches) of precipitation yearly this is less than half (a third?) than Gothenburg! So seeing our ground you understand that constant watering is essential. Since maximum precipitation is in november and minimum in May we have a bit of Mediterranian climate (but colder).
Our most common weed is Hyacinthoides hispanica (Spanish Blubell) that self seeds everywhere, we also have a lot of Digitalis purpurea and Anemone nemorosa.
We do love our hill and try to get the new house to fit in disturbing as little as possible!
Cheers
Per-Åke Löfdahl Bulb Enthusiast
Stockholm-Sweden

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 09:14:31 PM »
Maggi, you must have a better version of Google Earth. East of the Cathedral, Dunblane is a badly made tartan travel rug!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 09:49:36 PM »
Here is Dunblane from Dumyat.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 09:58:15 PM »
What an interesting thread this has turned out to be. Thanks David for asking the first question.

Although just a little way from the sea, I often has the silly thought that John and Anita Watson in Santiago are my next door neighbours. What's a Pacific Ocean between friends?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal