We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pancratium [Vagaria] parviflorum  (Read 5124 times)

JoshY46013

Re: Pancratium [Vagaria] parviflorum
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 04:47:37 AM »
I talked to a few people and they confirmed the identity :) The guy who sent it to me is a very reliable person and he has seen it bloom several timesl.  It's Vagaria parviflora but the leaves are solid!  I'll post a picture tomorrow but  I just received them and the leaves are cut back so there isn't much to see ;( 

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »
Pancratium parviflorum I also only  know with variegated leaves.

Here a better picture of Pancratium sickenbergeri, it grows in a very dry and extreme well drained bed - even for Oncos it is to dry - unfortunately it seems it is still not dry enough as it normally does not produce the wonderful curled leaves.  ::)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
Thanks Tony, infact i grow Vagaria parviflora for its leaves rather than flowers. Flowers last usually only a few days and it doesn't bloom regularly over the years, often only few stems in a big clump.
But the Leaves last all winter and they can grow in heavy shade here, showing even better the striped leaves.

Pancratium parviflorum I also only  know with variegated leaves.

Here a better picture of Pancratium sickenbergeri, it grows in a very dry and extreme well drained bed - even for Oncos it is to dry - unfortunately it seems it is still not dry enough as it normally does not produce the wonderful curled leaves.  ::)

Hans,
That is fantastic!!, i don't manage to keep mine in life...In its natural habitat in the Negev Desert, it receive around 100mm or less of rain and  as they grow in pure sand water doesn't last long.
Its perfume is to die for isn't it
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:28:13 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

JoshY46013

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
Hans,

I will get you a pic asap, it's quite rainy today :( 

The Pancratium sickenbergeri is beautiful as well, does anyone know a source for this or for the Vagaria parviflora with the variegation?

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
Thanks Oron,we have about 800 mm of rain, but in difference to its natural habitat it grows here in nearly pure gravel. So it does fine and flowered for me the last three years. It does not get any protection from rain.
And I agree, the wonderful honey scent of the flowers alone makes it worth to grow. A pitty, but I got not a single seed in the last years.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
Lucky you are hans ! I'm still waiting for flowers for 2 years....
But for sure they will come... one day  :P
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal