We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hippeastrum pictures  (Read 2528 times)

commonroad

Hippeastrum pictures
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
Hello all
Just having a go at posting some pictures.
bear with me until I get the hang of it.
First up is Hippeastrum vittatum, lovely colours and very vigorous
Andy Houghton. NCCPG Collection Holder Hippeastrum Hybrids

commonroad

Re: Hippeastrum pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:43:09 PM »
Another one,
i think ive cracked how to post the pictures.
next up is a small Thai Hippeastrum. not quite sure. i was sent the bulbs by a friend. Tiny flowers, on such a large bulb.

commonroad

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »
Hippeastrum papilio. Bought at malvern show this year. These were huge bulbs at a knocked down price on the last day. I had promised my wife, that I would not buy any bulbs/plants at all. I had to make a quick detour to the nursery to hide them there.

commonroad

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 08:53:33 PM »
This one is a bit of a mystery. Another bulb bought at Malvern show. In a box of Picotee bulbs, but it was obviously a smaller bulb and the bulb just seemed different from the rest, so into the basket it went! Completely different foliage than the others, darker green with a red stripe up the back of each leaf. A dark scape appeared and then these popped out, how cool was that. I really like this one. No idea which one it is though. Smaller flowers than the norm

commonroad

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
Last one for tonight.
most of my hybrids pictures are on another computer. I will have to take some of the better ones and post them.
Anyway, a lovely small ( about 3-4 inches across) South African hybrid. Its not what i bought, but I think it looks better than the variety I wanted.
Unfortunately at the moment, this one has a bad case of mealy bug, which seems to be getting better

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 03:58:52 AM »
This one is a bit of a mystery. Another bulb bought at Malvern show. In a box of Picotee bulbs, but it was obviously a smaller bulb and the bulb just seemed different from the rest, so into the basket it went! Completely different foliage than the others, darker green with a red stripe up the back of each leaf. A dark scape appeared and then these popped out, how cool was that. I really like this one. No idea which one it is though. Smaller flowers than the norm
Hi Andy,
though I've never seen one "in the flesh" I wonder if this one is a Hippie x Sprekelia hybrid? It seems to have a slight similarity to the latter.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal