We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Almost Spring in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 9391 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Almost Spring in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »
Yes, I'm sure it's not easy, not a problem for me being the weak silent type! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »
Of course David, of course!!  :-X
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
David,

It is all about selecting which bits to say.  I did a small talk at a garden club a couple of hours north or here last month, and it was trying to keep it down to the 40 minutes that was the problem.  I warned them at the time that my friends would tell them that I could talk under water, so they were warned.  As it happens I completed discussion of each of the 70 pictures and only ran about 2 minutes over.  Pretty amazing for me!!  :o  So it really is trying to work out which bits to say and which bits not to, and I'm assuming the same would apply to Lesley. ;)

No, I've finished my notes now and I plan to go on a bit. What time do the pubs close in Aussie? :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »
Do they close at all in Aussie, I thought they were a very sophisticated nation? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 06:13:08 AM »
A few things on the move here.

----A couple of Corydalis solida currently in bloom for the first time.

From seed of C. solida George Baker sown feb 06 x NARGS .I'm keen to have a go at pollinating this with a small paint brush as it is such a lovely red.

Then from seed of C solida mixed (no further info as label has faded--sigh!), a nice cream form with just the slightest tinge of lavender .

----Also first flowering of Iris unguicularis ssp cretensis sown july 04 x NZAGS ,although i wonder if that is correct ?.

Cheers dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »
Your I. cretensis looks right Dave. More than mine did. It turned out to be I. sibirica! The red corydalis is splendid.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 06:33:36 AM »
Do they close at all in Aussie, I thought they were a very sophisticated nation? ;D

I thought I'd ramble on indefinitely David and stop people going for a drink after ;D As for being a sophisticated nation, pub-wise, they, like NZ have a real problem with teenage binge drinkers and believe me there's nothing sophisticated about THEM at all, at 4 in the morning, throwing up everywhere. In my opinion, pubs down under are open WAY too long!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
Dave,

That red Corydalis solida is stunning.  I guess that means that all my seedlings have died out now, if I don't have them obviously growing?  Is this the time that C. solida should be well up and growing then?  No signs of Corydalis amongst my seed pots, so looks like they're gone.  Must search out which pot they "should" have been in to check.  Such a shame.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
Great Corydalis Dave !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:45 AM »
Thanks Luc, Paul and Lesley.

Paul -- although all of my C.solida are up ,not all are in full flower yet.The mixed patch ,(where i located the cream one), has a few plants of different colours yet to fully open.It will be interesting to see what eventuates .

C. solida seem to enjoy our cool moist woodland garden.While easy to grow, i understand drying out at certain stages of their growth can be fatal.

C. paczoskii has flowered and is in seed.

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »
Don't give up quite yet Paul. My C. solida seedlings are still coming through. The seed (from the UK and Sweden) took 11 months to germinate from VERY fresh seed.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 08:00:38 AM »
Dave,
 your Corydalis solida  seedlings are a stunning colour ,they have more orange in the red , than my C. s. 'George Baker', which I imported from England many years ago , mine should be in flower next week , strange that the southern tip of N.Z. is ahead of Australia in flowering. Your Iris u. ssp. cretensis looks identical to mine.
   Angie Orpin told me today that the seeds you sent are beeing held by our Quarantine ,Tim  will speak to them tomorrow from California.
    Lesley , when you come over next week , do not despair , you will be amongst civilized,cultured Australians !
    Ciao Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »
Thanks Otto

We reached 17c here today and i'm pleased to see so far that the colour of the red has not faded.

If the seeds i sent are not released eventually, let me know and i'll see what i can do to send another batch.

Best wishes to all you folk in Aussie for a wonderful conference.

Cheers Dave.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 09:41:14 AM »
Lesley,

The C. solida seedlings grew well last year, so it isn't them germinating that I am waiting for.  I know they're one of the pots in the shadehouse, but short of going through them one by one I doubt I will find them unless they shoot (as they'll be different to everything else then).  here's hoping they're still to return.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:50 AM »
Dave,
lovely red corydalis!
Here are a few things from our garden over the weekend,
the first flower on Cyclamen libanoticum,
82989-0
And the first flowering on a scilla raised from seed as S. ingridae,
82991-1
Can anyone verify this?
82993-2
And more daffs, of course! This "Little Tyke" looks all tuckered out!
82995-3
And this clump of "Tracey" has done well over the last few years.
82997-4
And a "new" Reticulata Iris for me is "Pixie"
82999-5
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:48:05 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal