We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wood Ashes good for crocus?  (Read 9921 times)

Guff

• USA New York
Wood Ashes good for crocus?
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
Been burning up twigs and branches this week, would wood ashes be good for crocus if sprinkled on top of my beds? I already put down a fresh layer of leaf compost on the beds. If they are, when do I add them, late fall?

Thanks for info.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Wood Ashes good for crocus?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Wood ash should be good for crocuses - high potash. I'd apply round about now (late summer/autumn).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »
Lesley, thanks.

How about bone meal, when should this be put down? Last fall I had bought a couple packets of granular bulb food, and I had sprinkled it around late October. Seems to have helped alot. I had alot of flowers, but then again, they are starting to clump up some.

Thanks for info.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »
a sprinkling of bone meal just before growth starts would be useful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
You can use wood ash at any time but it is especially beneficial to the bulbs just as the flowers appear.
Also it is good that you are burning twiggy growth as that contains the most potassium - large logs have very little.
Bone meal contains nitrogen and phosphorus and should be applied in the Autumn or when the bulbs are starting into growth.
For my feeding methods check out this bulb log link :- http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/160205/log.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:31:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »
David, Ian, thanks.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:05:07 AM »
You can use wood ash at any time but it is especially beneficial to the bulbs just as the flowers appear.
Also it is good that you are burning twiggy growth as that contains the most potassium - large logs have very little.
Bone meal contains nitrogen and phosphorus and should be applied in the Autumn or when the bulbs are starting into growth.
For my feeding methods check out this bulb log link :- http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2005/160205/log.html

Ian  - Years ago I remember being warned not to use fresh woodash but better wait till it was subjected to a few months of leaching by rain.  I can't remember what was to be leached out.  Any thoughts?  Perhaps it was fireplace ash.

Just finished repotting 600+ nerines and only 1 dead one, they seem to tolerate anything but the moister dormant pots had more live roots. Space is an issue!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 06:46:53 AM »
Space is an issue!

John,

I'm thinking there aren't that many of us here who wouldn't be saying the same thing!  ;D  With me, it's been an issue for years but it never stops me buying new plants or sowing new seeds.  Ridiculous really!!  You'd think I'd learn.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 08:20:14 AM »
Wood ash should be applied thinly as a thick deposit is likely to turn into a layer of clay when it gets damp.
I have not heard of wood ash needing to be allowed to leach and we use ours either fresh, but cold, or stored dry in sacks.
Ash from a fire that has had coal in it should never be applied in the garden as coal has a high sulphur content which is harmful to plants. Leachate from tracks and rail lines that have been laid with boiler cinders leach sulphur into adjacent ditches for tens of years after the initial application.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »
Whats everyones thoughts on cricket poo? I started a holding bin today, just to see how much poo 30-35 crickets would make in a week or two time period. Maybe next summer I will make some outdoor holding bins, with thousands of crickets. This is just an experiment, fall and winter on it's way.

I need something thats stronger than worm castings, but also free for my daylily's. I also thought maybe it would be good for crocus and cyclamen?

Cricket Poo vs Other Organic Fertilizers
Product % N % P % K Total NPK Value
CricketPoo! 4.04 2.18 2.26 8.48
Chicken Squat 1.00 0.80 0.39 2.19
Horse Plop 0.70 0.25 0.77 1.72
Worm Castings 0.86 0.37 0.25 1.48
Cow Patties 0.57 0.23 0.62 1.42
Swine Slop 0.49 0.34 0.47 1.30

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:09:04 AM »
You're joking, right?

I've seen a few cricket games that could be described as such, but harvesting it?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 01:28:40 AM »
Lesley, nope not joking...............lol

I go through alot of worm casting/leaf compost every year(making new beds), but I need something stronger for my daylily's, and also FREE. Buying Miracle Grow ferts can get expensive.

http://www.cricketpoo.com/FAQ.cfm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26:38 AM »
So why are crickets bred?

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 06:53:18 AM »
Lesley, I think crickets have 5-6 week life cycle. If you don't breed them, you would have to keep buying them, or try to catch them like I did, and that wasn't so easy. Crickets are mainly sold as pet food for lizards, frogs, and such, and also for fishing bait.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »
One of the best things about this forum is that my ignorance is being chipped away daily ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal